Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Regular
Default Adult Female Carpet Python not eating

My 10 year old female JCP has always strike fed frozen from day one but hasnt taken last 2 meals.

We used to live in a very warm house where I had no trouble maintaining temps, even in her viv which is glass. We moved fairly recently and I spent weeks trying to get her temps up. Ive insulated the viv now and its perfect again.

Since ive never had feeding issues im a little bit in the dark. My only thought is that because her temps got fairly cold during the recent cold weather we had down here is it feasible that she has gone into winter (slow) mode where by not needing to feed as regularly. Ive always dropped the temps on the stats during winter but not excessively. To be honest maybe its been a waste of time as it never seemed to change any of my snakes habits.

Some advice from anyone more in the know than me would be appreciated. I have left her alone all week and was gonna try her on a medium rat this week rather than her usual large (not sure if this will make any difference) What about warming food up? I used to have to do that with my first ever Royal (RIP Odessa)

Let me know what you think guys

Cheers
Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Regular
Reviews: 4

it could just be the change of environment upsetting her (?) my royal was like that when he moved to my house...
thats the only thing i can think of really
hope it helps
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Kirby
1.0.0 Crested Gecko - Roger
RIP Freya

Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Regular

Yeah could well be. I've owned snakes for over 15 years but still the refusing to eat issue always bothers me after my first royal started to refuse her food. I spent years trying all sorts until she got so weak I had her put to sleep. My one and only failure. Hopefully the carpet is just having a moment..

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:03 AM
5 Star Member

my big females gone off her food now, she always does at this time of year. i wouldnt worry too much

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438039259659825/
Full day tattooing, £300. For sale 2:0 07 diamond pythons and 1:0 ' 13 naja siamensis (dwal holders only)
Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyjoe View Post
my big females gone off her food now, she always does at this time of year. i wouldnt worry too much
How often do you offer her food bud? Do you reckon size will make any difference?

This is what I love about exotics....you can own them for years even to a point where you are knowledgeable and people come to you for advice. Then all of a sudden something simple like this spins you out..

Cheers
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyjoe View Post
PS....Havent you got ink to be doing?? My missus has decided at the age of 31....she wants to become a tattoo artist....She's already sleeved with a few bits and pieces dotted about but having recent sleeve work at New Tribe in Brixham, Devon it just hit her..Its now her passion and every spare minute is taken up with drawing!! At least after the kids are in bed now I get to play the PS3 without the earache!!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

I would say that the temperature has definately had an effect. How are you keeping a 10 year old coastal carpet in a glass tank? That has to be one of the worst possible set ups for a large carpet python. Does she have anywhere to climb? How are you heating it?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM
5 Star Member

nah, takin a half day as im in all day sunday doin a centipede. Good for her

I feed mine once a fortnight now, and give her a large rat.
Its really hard to tell what it is. id just check the set ups right and give her a little more time to settle in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438039259659825/
Full day tattooing, £300. For sale 2:0 07 diamond pythons and 1:0 ' 13 naja siamensis (dwal holders only)
Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeblaster View Post
I would say that the temperature has definately had an effect. How are you keeping a 10 year old coastal carpet in a glass tank? That has to be one of the worst possible set ups for a large carpet python. Does she have anywhere to climb? How are you heating it?
She's a jungle and the first one I moved into a glass viv cos I was getting fed up with ruining the laminated vivs with the humidity. She's in a 4ft x 2ft x 4ft tall viv. Its fully insulated back and sides with 50mm Jablite polystyrene. The roof is mesh with 50mm Jablite sandwiched between perspex with holes cut for a 250 watt ceramic on one side and a 160 watt mercury vapour on the other. The ceramic is on the stat with 2 thermometers and 1 hygrometer on the inside. She has root and branches all locked together with faux foliage which she spends 90 % of her time on.

It did take alot of effort to sort this viv for her but its been worth it for me and her.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa Slick View Post
She's a jungle and the first one I moved into a glass viv cos I was getting fed up with ruining the laminated vivs with the humidity. She's in a 4ft x 2ft x 4ft tall viv. Its fully insulated back and sides with 50mm Jablite polystyrene. The roof is mesh with 50mm Jablite sandwiched between perspex with holes cut for a 250 watt ceramic on one side and a 160 watt mercury vapour on the other. The ceramic is on the stat with 2 thermometers and 1 hygrometer on the inside. She has root and branches all locked together with faux foliage which she spends 90 % of her time on.

It did take alot of effort to sort this viv for her but its been worth it for me and her.
well fair play, thats quite a glass set up. Any pictures would like to see it

I would say however that a jungle carpet shouldn't need a great deal of humidity.