Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default How long can a snake go without water?

Okay, I've had snakes (corn and a cali king) who were missing for four months (both turned up when I wasn't expecting them and thank god they're weren't missing at the same time) and with no ill effects.

I've heard of someone (possibly a RFUK member) moving into a house that had been vacant for several months, finding a dirty viv, spotting movement, followed by a thin cornsnake emerging out from under something in the viv.

Also, I heard of someone who was out of the country for five days, forgot to replace a cornsnake's water bowl when he took it out for refilling (he was high-functioning autistic and was been hassled about the trip by family members before he left) and when he returned five days later found the cornsnake dead in his RUB.

So, how long can snakes go without water? Where were my missing snakes getting moisture?

Did the lack of water kill my friends's snake? If so, how come he died when the corn who was abandoned in its viv for months survive?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Premier Citizen

Most snakes can survive for a very long time without water
There are exceptions but snakes like corns milks and carpets can go months without obviously drinking
Water pipes often 'sweat' on the outside and this may be where your snakes sipped up moisture

It was probably something else that killed his corn
Temperature perhaps??

You can lead a fool to knowledge....But you cant make him think
http://www.facebook.com/balireptilerescue
http://www.facebook.com/longte

Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Depending on where they were lost, they were probably getting small amouts of water from somewhere, pipes, spilt water, unattended glasses of water over night etc.
I seriously doubt a snake would drop dead in 5 days without water unless there was something seriously wrong anyway!!

1.1.17 Corn Snake 2.0.0 Royal Python 0.1.0 Common Boa 1.0.0 White Oak Rat Snake 1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa 1.1.1 Western Hognose
1.1.0 Leopard Gecko 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
1.0.0 Yemen Chameleon 3.0.0 Ferrets 3.0.0 Rats 0.1.0 Staffie x Lab Puppy
1.0.0 Boyfriend
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Postaholic Member

Ive purposefully not given water to mine for 7 days before.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Premier Citizen

It probably also depends if they are in good condition, and how big they are. A hatchling corn for example can be irreversably damaged by not having water for 4-5 days (like long journeys when shipping from the US)
I'd imagine a healthy adult corn could go longer without water... but I'm not about to experiment!
If mine ever escaped like that, I would leave some water dishes out around the place just in case

Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Ultra Citizen

they can last roughly 2 weeks, i have seen a case where a keeper did not give a corn water for about that length of time and the snake looked very ill, but it did live. but i would not recommend trying it

Originally Posted by NezA
kind of like the reptile equivalent of a "hipster" couldn't agree more glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Snakes can go a while without water, if you have to treat a snake for mites some treatments require the water to be removed for at least 7 days.
Old 21-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Egg
Default snake missing

my Corn snake has roughly been missing about 2 days and im not sure how long he can go without water or food it was meant to be feeding day today and im worried. he isn't a very big snake but he isnt a hatchling. what do i do?
Old 21-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz3234 View Post
my Corn snake has roughly been missing about 2 days and im not sure how long he can go without water or food it was meant to be feeding day today and im worried. he isn't a very big snake but he isnt a hatchling. what do i do?

Lost a snake? Wanna know how to make a trap?

^^^^^worth a shot
0.0.1 Spectacled Caiman -- 0.0.1 Fairy Geckos -- 1.0 Ball Python -- 0.1 Bibron's gecko -- 1.0 Barking gecko -- 0.0.1 Sandfish Skink -- 1.2 Leopard Geckos -- 1.1 Yellow-bellied Sliders -- 2.0 Bearded Dragons -- 0.1 Everglades Rat Snake -- 0.0.1 Blue-lined Skink -- 1.0 Cornsnake -- 1.0 Veiled Chameleon -- 0.0.1 Red-clawed Scorpion -- 0.0.1 Tailless Whip Scorpion -- 0.0.1 Hermit Crab -- Lot's of roaches
Old 21-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Ultra Citizen

Out of interest... why would people purposefully not give a snake water? Is it part of treatment for something?

Tags
corn, cornsnake, snake, water