Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 20-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Blue Moon Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBenger View Post
I understand your point however I think the general consensus is that we should attempt all other methods before using live due to the fact that feeding live is stressful for the feeder animal and can lead to injuries for the reptile.

If you can get a snake to eat a warmed up, brained animal then it makes sense to do that on an ethical basis than feed live.
I don't disagree particularly, hence my comment regarding supervision etc, I suppose what gets my goat (Grumpy old man syndrone) is the way most, not all, people, castigate anybody that mentions live feeding, personally I think it has its place & i'd rather see a well fed/contented snake that a snake who's desperate to eat but doesn't want warmed up afters.
koyotee3 likes this.

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams
Old 20-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Regular

Anyone here watch snakebytes tv?
Before I get shot down, I'm not saying they are the be-all and end-all of snake keeping. Just happened to see one this morning where they were feeding. He was saying how he always found it hard to feed live, because of the cute little mouses, but it is how nature works. He also said that for baby/young royals, live was the way to go as they very very rarely refuse, whereas they do with df.
Yet he feeds all his sub adult / adults on df, so obviously they take to it afterwards
Miichu likes this.
Old 20-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimo View Post
I don't disagree particularly, hence my comment regarding supervision etc, I suppose what gets my goat (Grumpy old man syndrone) is the way most, not all, people, castigate anybody that mentions live feeding, personally I think it has its place & i'd rather see a well fed/contented snake that a snake who's desperate to eat but doesn't want warmed up afters.
I think the main problem everyone who said its too early to try live is that the OP tried to feed the snake on sunday and then tried again today, a 3 day gap, before he decided he should feed live. The snake might not be hungry but when the live rat was put in his natural instincts took over and he ate it
sooty and shaneharrison like this.
Old 20-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Super Citizen

i agree with everything that has been said previously. i have no issue with live feeding at all, but a couple of days is definitely not long enough. i'd have thought you'd need to wait a good couple of months and try everything possible before live feeding. however, everyone has their own methods, and as has been previously said, if the OP has a source, feels comfortable and feels that is the the best for their snake then i see no problem.
sooty likes this.
0.1 sonoran dwarf boa
0.1 albino giant leopard gecko
Old 20-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Massive Member
Reviews: 6
Send a message via MSN to fishboy

I'm unsure what the regulations are in Belgium but honestly, it's entirely up to you whether you decide to continue to feed it live or go for the F/T option.

F/T is obviously safer and (superficially) cleaner, from a moral standpoint and most new additions will usually happily strike at defrost within 2-3 weeks.
Old 20-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Quote:
No-one castigated anyone on this thread? I stand by my comment it is too soon, trying every day for three days and then throwing a live rat in is not how I personally would go about things. Live feeding is fine at your own discretion if you've tried everything else; that hadn't happened here.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 20-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Banned

you could be in to something very difficult now.
he might continue to want live food so you will have to source it weekly or look after rodents as well

i've noticed you live in belgium. you may not have problems sourcing live.

but don't do it.
try scenting food, braining it, warming it (should be done anyway)
sooty likes this.
Old 20-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Gold Star Member

I don't think live feeding is wrong, personally it's a last resort
spinnin_tom likes this.
Old 20-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Blue Moon Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastheace141 View Post
I think the main problem everyone who said its too early to try live is that the OP tried to feed the snake on sunday and then tried again today, a 3 day gap, before he decided he should feed live. The snake might not be hungry but when the live rat was put in his natural instincts took over and he ate it
If this is the case then I misunderstood that particular point, I took it to mean that it was to early to give up on trying defrost before going to live, other than that i stand by my opinion.

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams
Old 20-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
If this is the case then I misunderstood that particular point, I took it to mean that it was to early to give up on trying defrost before going to live, other than that i stand by my opinion.
that's what i thought too.
wait at least a couple of months before going on to live, i would think

Tags
live feeding