Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes



  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Hatchling
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wolverhampton, Sunny West Mids
Posts: 26
Default How long do snakes grow

Hi,

When i say "how long?" I mean in time.

I was always under the impression that snakes grown for 2, 3 maybe 4 years and then slow right down and although they may grow a little longer (we are taking length not girth), they'll kind of plato....

The only reason I ask is I know of somone selling a "big 6 year old Boa" that is 4 feet long and still growing quickly...

I have a few problems with this4 foot isnt exactly big for a Boa etc

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were?
__________________
RobQ64.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM
5 Star Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basingstoke
Posts: 4,491
Default

Your about right, they tend to grow pretty fast for the first 3-4 years then only very small minimal amounts for the rest of their lives.

And it would depend on what kind of boa it is as to it's adult size. A dwarf subspecies could very well be 3-4 ft at 6 years old.

However it does sound like they maybe got the age wrong if it's still growing quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM
AB's's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London
Posts: 5,231
Default

They don't stop growing but do slow down... Far to many variables to give any time scales of when this happens. No reason why an older boa who had a poor start wouldn't grow quicker when in the correct care...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,584
Default

Depends on the animal, its species, its genetics, and its past feeding.

Some snakes are genetically fast growers and/or heavily fed, and reach "adult" size (will continue growing slightly all its life, but at a much slower pace) very early for the species. Some are naturally slower growers or fed less, and may take longer than normal to reach size. Some are fed infrequently for the early part of their lives, noodle about growing slowly, and then have a massive growth spurt when their feeding becomes more frequent/larger.

In most cases, as I understand it, the snake will eventually get to the basic adult size it's genetically programmed to get to, whether it takes it several years due to minimalist feeding/slow natural growth, or just a couple (however, I have been told by people whose opinions I respect a great deal that, at least with retics, early feeding can have an impact on final size). But in this case...either the original owner isn't that clear on boa sizes and requirements and barely fed it for 6 years, or something is a little funny about the description. Calling a 4', 6 year-old boa "big" strikes me as peculiar unless it is one of the smaller boas to begin with - but then it would hardly still be "growing fast", would it?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Jeffers3's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants
Posts: 8,767
Reviews: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQ64 View Post
I was always under the impression that snakes grown for 2, 3 maybe 4 years and then slow right down and although they may grow a little longer (we are taking length not girth), they'll kind of plato....
Plato:


Plateau:




Sorry - couldn't resist!
__________________


Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus


“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
RFUK Premium Membership
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sunderland uk
Posts: 1,641
Default

the first 3 to 4 years will be the fasted growth, but I don't believe a snake grows all its life, or there would be some very large royals over 10ft as they do live a long time if well looked after.
steve d likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
5 Star Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basingstoke
Posts: 4,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiee View Post
the first 3 to 4 years will be the fasted growth, but I don't believe a snake grows all its life, or there would be some very large royals over 10ft as they do live a long time if well looked after.
All snakes continue to grow very small amounts all their life.
It's quite a well known fact.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 PM
steve d's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,651
Default

contrary to popular belief snakes do not grow their entire lives,i have been measuring giant snakes for over 25 years and have literally taken over 10,000 individual measurements in that time,i have found that retics for example appear to stop growing between 7 and 13 years and ive found that anacondas for example grow for a longer time period,in fact i had a female still growing at 22 years old,in all honesty even anacondas(very slow growers)dont appear to grow for their entire lives.

i have 12 female retics between 16 and 26 years old which have literally not grown an inch in years,i measure each of them 5 to 7 times per month and document it.

the time scale is very much species dependent though and as ive not measured every species i can only tell of my findings with the giants.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,794
Default

anaconda, grow slow, but more steadly for long time
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Ayra's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 1,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve d View Post
contrary to popular belief snakes do not grow their entire lives,i have been measuring giant snakes for over 25 years and have literally taken over 10,000 individual measurements in that time,i have found that retics for example appear to stop growing between 7 and 13 years and ive found that anacondas for example grow for a longer time period,in fact i had a female still growing at 22 years old,in all honesty even anacondas(very slow growers)dont appear to grow for their entire lives.

i have 12 female retics between 16 and 26 years old which have literally not grown an inch in years,i measure each of them 5 to 7 times per month and document it.

the time scale is very much species dependent though and as ive not measured every species i can only tell of my findings with the giants.
This might be accurate for your large constrictors but you can't apply it to all species. It might be as simple as large snakes don't need to grow all their life because they're just that big. In truth I find it hard to believe that snakes grow all their life, but from a scientific point of view your findings aren't generalisable (is that a word?).

P.S. I respect your commitment. 5-7 times a month must be hard work for any size of snake, never mind big boids
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snake size boa grow age

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how long will a atb take to grow out of exo terra? herper147 Snakes 4 28-08-2010 09:44 PM
How long do dubias take to grow? KarlW Feeder 5 13-10-2009 01:43 PM
How long does it take for sling's to grow. mythicdawn07 Spiders and Inverts 7 15-07-2009 01:57 PM
how long does it take for corn to grow 3.5ft mjthekings Newbie Advice 11 31-05-2009 10:58 PM
how long to grow? Sam&Si Spiders and Inverts 12 07-03-2008 03:14 PM


Help For Heros

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)
Privacy Policy