Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Hatchling
Default How long do snakes grow

Hi,

When i say "how long?" I mean in time.

I was always under the impression that snakes grown for 2, 3 maybe 4 years and then slow right down and although they may grow a little longer (we are taking length not girth), they'll kind of plato....

The only reason I ask is I know of somone selling a "big 6 year old Boa" that is 4 feet long and still growing quickly...

I have a few problems with this4 foot isnt exactly big for a Boa etc

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM
5 Star Member

Your about right, they tend to grow pretty fast for the first 3-4 years then only very small minimal amounts for the rest of their lives.

And it would depend on what kind of boa it is as to it's adult size. A dwarf subspecies could very well be 3-4 ft at 6 years old.

However it does sound like they maybe got the age wrong if it's still growing quickly.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Gold Star Member

They don't stop growing but do slow down... Far to many variables to give any time scales of when this happens. No reason why an older boa who had a poor start wouldn't grow quicker when in the correct care...
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

Depends on the animal, its species, its genetics, and its past feeding.

Some snakes are genetically fast growers and/or heavily fed, and reach "adult" size (will continue growing slightly all its life, but at a much slower pace) very early for the species. Some are naturally slower growers or fed less, and may take longer than normal to reach size. Some are fed infrequently for the early part of their lives, noodle about growing slowly, and then have a massive growth spurt when their feeding becomes more frequent/larger.

In most cases, as I understand it, the snake will eventually get to the basic adult size it's genetically programmed to get to, whether it takes it several years due to minimalist feeding/slow natural growth, or just a couple (however, I have been told by people whose opinions I respect a great deal that, at least with retics, early feeding can have an impact on final size). But in this case...either the original owner isn't that clear on boa sizes and requirements and barely fed it for 6 years, or something is a little funny about the description. Calling a 4', 6 year-old boa "big" strikes me as peculiar unless it is one of the smaller boas to begin with - but then it would hardly still be "growing fast", would it?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQ64 View Post
I was always under the impression that snakes grown for 2, 3 maybe 4 years and then slow right down and although they may grow a little longer (we are taking length not girth), they'll kind of plato....
Plato:

Plateau:

Sorry - couldn't resist!

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

the first 3 to 4 years will be the fasted growth, but I don't believe a snake grows all its life, or there would be some very large royals over 10ft as they do live a long time if well looked after.
steve d likes this.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiee View Post
the first 3 to 4 years will be the fasted growth, but I don't believe a snake grows all its life, or there would be some very large royals over 10ft as they do live a long time if well looked after.
All snakes continue to grow very small amounts all their life.
It's quite a well known fact.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Postaholic Member

contrary to popular belief snakes do not grow their entire lives,i have been measuring giant snakes for over 25 years and have literally taken over 10,000 individual measurements in that time,i have found that retics for example appear to stop growing between 7 and 13 years and ive found that anacondas for example grow for a longer time period,in fact i had a female still growing at 22 years old,in all honesty even anacondas(very slow growers)dont appear to grow for their entire lives.

i have 12 female retics between 16 and 26 years old which have literally not grown an inch in years,i measure each of them 5 to 7 times per month and document it.

the time scale is very much species dependent though and as ive not measured every species i can only tell of my findings with the giants.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Premier Citizen

anaconda, grow slow, but more steadly for long time
Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve d View Post
contrary to popular belief snakes do not grow their entire lives,i have been measuring giant snakes for over 25 years and have literally taken over 10,000 individual measurements in that time,i have found that retics for example appear to stop growing between 7 and 13 years and ive found that anacondas for example grow for a longer time period,in fact i had a female still growing at 22 years old,in all honesty even anacondas(very slow growers)dont appear to grow for their entire lives.

i have 12 female retics between 16 and 26 years old which have literally not grown an inch in years,i measure each of them 5 to 7 times per month and document it.

the time scale is very much species dependent though and as ive not measured every species i can only tell of my findings with the giants.
This might be accurate for your large constrictors but you can't apply it to all species. It might be as simple as large snakes don't need to grow all their life because they're just that big. In truth I find it hard to believe that snakes grow all their life, but from a scientific point of view your findings aren't generalisable (is that a word?).

P.S. I respect your commitment. 5-7 times a month must be hard work for any size of snake, never mind big boids

Tags
snake size boa grow age