Reptile Forums banner

Leaf insect nymps help please

457 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dragora 
#1 ·
just had my first two leaf insects hatch.:D

my book says the hardest thing is getting them to neat ,i have cut edges off of leaves and sprayed anything else i can try ? how long before they start to eat and also one has egg still attached to back leg should i do anything.

Thanks Mel

#2 ·
Hi,
They are tricky little blighters. They will eat eventually. Old leaves are best. The egg will fall off so don't pull it off. I have found them hard to raise past their 2nd shed but once they get bigger them are great.

Reactions: dragora
#3 ·
Thank you :) fingers crossed

#5 ·
Hi just to give you some reassurance, I've had 30 + gigantea nymphs hatch over the past week and getting them to eat has been a worry. I tried bramble leaves at first, then eucalyptus, still no interest, so i cut the leaves, still nothing, put them back on bramble this time cutting the leaves, 2 days later (today) there is sufficient nibble marks :)..I just made sure they were lightly sprayed every day so they were at least getting water, and its finally paid off :)...Good luck : victory:

#6 ·
thanks guy i now have seven so far, egg came off fine four are eating (one is nearly compleatly green, the other 3 only hatched today / yesterday so i must be doing something right. :2thumb:

Reactions: AchatinaAchatina
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.