Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 13-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Egg
Default Substrate for B.Smithi???

Hi Guys n Gals,
Bought my son his second T a couple of weeks ago, he already had a G.Rosea. He uses reptibark in the G.Rosea's enclosure & it has always been fine with it but the B.Smithi doesn't seem to like it too much, it doesn't seem to move around the enclosure very much & when it does its always up on the sides of the enclosure! Can anyone tell me what is the most suitable substrate for his newest addition please!
Also while I'm here, he got the B.Smithi 2 weeks ago today & it molted on the Wednesday, he tried feeding it yesterday & it wasn't interested, is this normal? I done a bit of checking on line & read that they don't eat during the molting process but should eat after. He is a bit worried now & I don't think he will relax til it does eat.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Pam
Old 13-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

tarantulas absoutly hate bark!

get yourself some of....

exhibit 1:
Terra Spider - Coco Fibre Substrate for Tarantulas Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates

exhibit 2:
Vermiculite 5ltr - Incubation Medium Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates

what i do is...mix up some of exhibit 2 and some exhibit 1 to equal amounts, but i usually make it up with more of exhibit 1 and little bit less of exhibit 2...Oh and don't worry if you have loads of exhibit 1 left over, you can always dry it out and then bag it up, and you will have it pre done for next time!

obviously you don't have to buy from that specific shop, but they are both relativly cheap, and recommend for any tarantula!
Old 13-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Egg

Thanks so much for the quick reply Mike, will see if any of the local shops have these in stock & if not will buy from this shop, have been on their site quite a bit looking at their T's cos my son is already wanting another. Won't be going to the shop we got his G.Rosea from as they told him that the reptibark was the best substrate for the spiders. Have ordered him 2 books about caring for the T's for Christmas so hopefully that will help him a bit. Can you recommend a good next T for him, Santa might be bringing him a new one!

Thanks,
Pam.
Old 13-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Postaholic Member

It's unlikely it will eat for at least a week after a moult as its new skin and fangs have to harden off. Adults can take longer - 2 weeks or even more. So don't panic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theevilreddevil View Post
its the strange twisted experiments she does on them RIP little spuds
Old 14-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Super Regular

there are lots of lovely brachies, I'd avoid Boehmi's as they are flicky but an emilia maybe?
B vagans is always good (red rump) or B albopilosum (curly hair)
Or a C cyanipubescens or Green bottle blue, get a sling over 1cm and let him raise it, the changes it goes through from sling to adult are amazing and the sheer quantity and strength of the webbing is something else. As adults they are quite showy so long as you can find them among all that web!! but very popular and soemtimes difficult to find.
Grammastola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) is also very rewarding.
I use coir and moss for most of my T's btw.
Old 14-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Forum Citizen

Plantation soil and moss mixed with a layer of peat and orchid bark on top. Looks nice, maintains humidity and allows for digging

Works well for me and my Crawshayi

Old 14-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Banned
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamblood View Post
Thanks so much for the quick reply Mike, will see if any of the local shops have these in stock & if not will buy from this shop, have been on their site quite a bit looking at their T's cos my son is already wanting another. Won't be going to the shop we got his G.Rosea from as they told him that the reptibark was the best substrate for the spiders. Have ordered him 2 books about caring for the T's for Christmas so hopefully that will help him a bit. Can you recommend a good next T for him, Santa might be bringing him a new one!

Thanks,
Pam.
All i can suggest is try something like A.versi which is arboreal and is something totally different, i don't yet have one but apparently they are lovely. Also you will find that the A.versi changes colours over time within moults

Another suggestion is to try get something like a burrower? although most burrowers are pretty much aggressive (c.crawshayi, h.lividum, OBT [cant remember OBT latin name?]). But the thing might put your son off of having a burrower is that you wont get to see them that much, but its absolutely fabulous when you do! (such s feeding)....ANOTHER THING WITH THE AGGRESSIVE SIDE OF THINGS, WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO LET YOUR SON KEEP THESE? BECAUSE ITS NOT ALL THE TIME ABOUT THE KNOW-HOW, ITS ABOUT THE RESPECT FOR TARANTULAS!
Old 14-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Ultra Citizen

I would go with the avic versi they are fantastic mine moulted Wednesday and s/he is about 3ins now and is just starting to get the red on the abdomen. S/he has never refused food except for 1 week before the moult, its usually gone before it hits the ground.
Chaco golden knees (g pulchripes) are also great. They get to an impressive size ( about 8ins) they are docile and rarely flick hairs. They are one of my alltime favourites.
Or maybe,
Brazilian Black (g pulchra) They are a lot like g pulchripes in personality and looks but with less hair and are jet black. I have got a 4cm sling and s/he is a bit of a nut job its not aggressive in anyway it just runs around a lot and likes to climb on the roof of its enclosure.
Or
TSS have got some nice CB sub adult aphonopelma bicoloratum these are also great here's the link.
Mexican Bloodleg (Aphonopelma bicoloratum) Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates
Old 14-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Egg

Thanks everyone for the input. Phoned a few of the local pet shops & there is 1 that sells the coco fibre substrate & the vermiculite but won't have them til Thursday so will get it then as I don't think I'd get it any faster if I ordered online.
As for Scarlet (his B.Smithi) she had a cricket last night so he is a lot happier today. Fangs (G.Rosea) still hasn't eaten, its been 4 weeks now, don't think its gonna moult as he has had it since April & it hasn't ever moulted (I think it is fully grown was that size when he got it) but we don't know if its male or female so I think if its a male it might be "that time"!!!
Thanks for the suggestions for spiders I could get him, I have decided to get these 2 Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates & <i>Lasiodora parahybana</i><br>Salmon Pink (1 cm) Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates (what do you all think) I would be buying from this place as the pet shops here in Dublin charge a fortune (€60 for G.Rosea & €90 for B.Smithi) and when I was buying the Smithi for him they had 1cm spiderlings selling for €30. If there are other spiderlings on this site that you think would be more suitable let me know. Just so as you know my son is 10 years old but a very mature 10. He doesn't handle the T's except for when cleaning out their enclosures.
Thanks for all your advice so far
Pam.
Old 14-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Postaholic Member

Pam, an adult chile might only moult once every couple of years. Has it got little hooks on the inside of its front pair of legs?
If not, it could still be a male, but absence of hooks means it's not matured and will still moult again. Chile roses are notorious for fasting for prolonged periods for no apparent reason, so 4 weeks is nothing.

With regards to buying small spiderlings for your son, you should be aware that there is a higher mortality rate, as being smaller they are more fragile. This especially holds true for Avicularia, which until they reach about 2" legspan, have a nasty habit of just dropping dead randomly. If your son is likely to be very upset at losing one, it might be worth looking in the classifieds here for a juvenile. Lasiodora parahybana often come up for sale and various avics as well (not necessarily Peru Purple)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theevilreddevil View Post
its the strange twisted experiments she does on them RIP little spuds