Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Wildlife

Old 16-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Blonde Badgers?

I saw a dead badger this morning at the side of a stream. It was young and had what I can only describe as blonde / ginger fur, do you usually get blonde or ginger badgers?

I have photographs but it being dead and all I won't post them unless people are really interested.

Last edited by pollywog; 16-09-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Old 16-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 23
Send a message via MSN to Twiglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollywog View Post
I saw a dead badger this morning at the side of a stream. It was young and had what I can only describe as blonde / ginger fur, do you usually get blonde or ginger badgers?

I have photographs but it being dead and all I won't post them unless people are really interested.
I'd like to see it. I've seen the blonde hedgehogs on alderney, pied black birds, black squirrels... I really like seeing unusual coloured wildlife! I wonder if its colouration had any bearing on its early demise?

[/CENTER]
My entire being revolves around my animals and is is essential to me that my home-bred babies go to good homes. Please be aware that I will not sell any animal without first ascertaining that its prospective new owner has the correct set up and adequate knowledge to care for it properly.
Please do not take any questions I ask of you personally, I ask simply in the interest of animal welfare and will ask questions regarding your experience and set up whether you have owned one animal or one hundred.
If you are uncomfortable discussing an animals requirements, please refrain from contacting me.

Due to an unnecessary number of time wasters, tyre kickers and dreamers, I will require a small, non-refundable deposit payment on any animal reserved.
Old 17-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Premier Citizen

After a bit of Googling it's an Erythristic morph, aparently they are found in a few areas and were on Springwatch earlier in the year.

*****Picture of corpse below*****

Old 18-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Super Citizen

They are uncommon but not rare, I have seen several like this and also an albino one and a hermaphrodite one.
Old 18-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

If the body is in as good a condition as it looks, and you have enough space, I recomend you take it home and freeze it, as it would be of great interest to any taxidermist. I would be very intrested to do it myself, but I don't realy have the time at the moment. there will be many others who would be very keen though.
Old 19-09-2010, 06:16 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvid2e1 View Post
If the body is in as good a condition as it looks, and you have enough space, I recomend you take it home and freeze it, as it would be of great interest to any taxidermist. I would be very intrested to do it myself, but I don't realy have the time at the moment. there will be many others who would be very keen though.
Don't you have to have a license to handle/own badger parts?

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!

Old 19-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Citizen

Not if you can prove it wasn't killed illegally
Old 20-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Premier Citizen

I've just heard back from the county Biological Records Centre saying that they don't appear to have any records for erythristic Badgers, at least not in the last 20 years. Waiting to hear back from the local Badger group.

Tags
badgers, blonde