Reptile Forums banner

Reptile Shed

Tags
crestie
1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dan57682001 
#1 ·
Is a reptile shed a good idea?
it would be 6ft by 5ft to house the cresties i have now and all spare equipment i have ready to expand :)

It would be complete with lights and electric sockets and windows so would have the day / night cycle, sort of like a conservatory but built slightly away from the house, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks

#3 ·
yes its a great idea just ensure the electrics are done properly and you insulate it(floor and cieling as well as the walls then line with plywood don't forget to insulate the door as well

#4 ·
My sisters fella is a builder so he would do it for me. ive told him i want wood on the outside, then insulation then wood on the inside all the way around inclusing roof and door. The floor will be wooden, with a layer of insulation and then more wooden floorboards, also at least 6 electric sockets plus a light and it will have a yale lock and normal door lock on to make sure they are safe :)

#7 ·
My shed:

Started with new felted roof, insulated underneath and with a boarded ceiling:

Insulated and plasterboarded walls, with plenty of power sockets. Then invite friends round for painting party / bbq:

Artwork complete. Note consumer unit for power sockets and lights. Walls decorated with garden screening:

Camoflage netting for ceiling decor:

Some vivs moved in, oil filled radiators for background heat:

Windows covered in bubble wrap and blind installed. Floor insulated and carpeted.

It was expensive, time consuming, hard work...... but worth it!

#8 ·
Is a reptile shed a good idea?
it would be 6ft by 5ft to house the cresties i have now and all spare equipment i have ready to expand :)

It would be complete with lights and electric sockets and windows so would have the day / night cycle, sort of like a conservatory but built slightly away from the house, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks
Yes it's a very good idea.
It keeps everything in one place. Saves on the heating bill (when well insulated). stops problems with the rest of the family (using hair sprays, cleaners etc. Stops the rest of the family moaning when the crickets escape.
Possibly not a good point, phobic friends start visiting again:lol2:.

Just one thing worth considering, if you think you need a 6ft by 5ft shed, what you really need is a 12ft by 6ft shed minimum.

I made mine 30ft by 12ft six years ago and next year I'm extending it by another 10ft.

Natrix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.