Reptile Forums banner

Worried

702 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Arcadiajohn 
#1 ·
Can anyone help, I have a 3 month old crested gecko who appears to have had a fit, his head went back, mouth open and his legs let go of the leaf he was on, I was able to catch him before he hit the bottom of the viv, has any one else had this sort of experience ?
He is still eating and when he came round seemed bright and his normal self apart from one back leg didn't seem to work right.
I changed his bulB last week anD am concerned I have over heated him, I have now removed the new bulb and am waiting for a green spot to arrive.

#2 ·
It could be overheating - Do you know what the temperature was in the tank? Did you have a thermostat on the lamp? What watt bulb? Was there a guard around it?

#3 ·
the thermometer was reading 21 centigrade the bulb was sat outside the viv about 1 and half foot from bottom of the tank, we do have a theromstat whcih is linked to a mat under the viv, the probe for the mat thermostat is inside the viv just under half way up, since we have taken the 100w bulb away things have got better and back to sticking to galss and leaves. Any advice would be appreciated.

#4 ·
A 100w bulb for a crestie is a bit over-kill, especially when it's not attached to a thermostat. What thermometer are you using? Dial/analogue or digital? If you want to keep using a bulb then go for a much lower watt one and get a thermostat for it to prevent overheating :)

#5 ·
we have removed the 100w bulb as we thought this was the issue, the thermometer is a dial exoterra along with the same for humidity, the only thing different is the bulb and every thing else we have has been used since day 1 without issue we have ordered the same orig bulb which we plan to use which is going to be 40w and green, and right now seems to be as active as he used to be

#6 ·
Problem with those dial thermometers is that they are complete rubbish (can be 10C+ out) so I reckon overheating was the issue. Get yourself a digital thermometer (can be gotten off ebay cheap) and place it near the bulb as this is your main heat source.

Reactions: Artisan
#8 ·
Hi Dinky.

With modern energy saving bulbs, which put out next to no heat I wouldnt even think of using an old school incandescent bulb as they throw out soooo much heat and if you have a mat already its a bit mad...

why a green bulb btw?

Just another quick check, do you think the little one felt intimidated at all or touched the bulb??

#10 ·
I would recommend a heatmat for cresties and stick to the outside of their tank to allow them to thermoregulate, they really don't need high temperatures.

#11 ·
Just a tip,

Look at the wild data, google up the average weather for isle de pins where the come from, you will find that the average temp is well into the 20s and almost 30 for 4 months of the year with a humidity in the near 80%. average of 7 hours a day of strong sunlight 11 hours of daylight at an index that does not even drop below 5 in the winter, for ref it's an index of 11 today which is the same as the auzzie desert! Check weather2travel.com for one source of info.

The thing is these animals have evolved to live in a very harsh environment, very strong sun during the day, huge humidity and in a barren pine forest.

They are well able to deal with high temps, but here's the thing!! Your photo gradient should always match your thermogradient. You should provide good temps and strong lighting but this must be balanced with areas of cool and shade. The animal will then self regulate just as it would in the wild via leaf scatter illumination.

Id be very supprised if this was a temp related condition if the temp is only
21!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.