Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Leopard Gecko Set Up
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD918 View Post
Might as well ask on here instead of making a new thread, for substrate, I will be getting some vinyl or lino for my gecko at some point, but was just going to use kitchen roll/paper towels to begin with as I dont have the vinyl/lino yet, was just wondering how thick it should be layed down? ie one paper towel thickness across the whole viv or more?

Picking my lil gecko up tomorrow! Super excited!
Vinyl/Lino is a great choice. Easy to clean and 0 risk of impaction. I myself use slate effect vinyl, to imitate roughly the natural habitat of a Leo.

For the time being it doesn't matter too much about the kitchen roll. One piece, two pieces. The heat will still penetrate. I've never used it but I think those that do layer is slightly in a sort of overlapped fashion to avoid holes.

As long as the heat mat is on a thermostat and your probe is positioned correctly then it shouldn't matter

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.