Reptile Forums - View Single Post - New To Reptiles.
View Single Post
Old 19-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpster View Post
Ceramic bulbs are a better way of heating snakes that are generally bigger and heavier than say corn snakes.

The best way to look at is a heat mat radiates heat to solid objects, so in theory the heat mat is not heating up the air viv but the object that is directly in contact with.

A large snake sitting on a heat mat will not get the benefit of being heated from above and around it, only the part that is in contact with the mat etc.

A ceramic bulb heats up the air in the viv which in turn warms the snake.

So big snakes = ceramic bulbs
small snakes = heat mats (although you can use ceramics if you wish)

Having said that I used to keep a royal on a heat and had no problems, but if I was going to get another royal i would set ip with a ceramic.

P.S a ceramic needs a different thermostat to a head mat.
Great answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piebaldlover View Post
hey
I have a royal and use red heat bulb mainly as means I can see her and sets a better overall temp for her 4ft viv .
I tend to find that once her basking spot/hide is the right temp the rest of the viv sorts itself out nicely.
beware though snakes are so addictive one is never enough
It also means the snake is only warm when the bulb is on - for people like me where the viv is in my sitting room I don't want a bulb on for 18-24 hours a day. A ceramic is the best alternative to a mat IMO, with LED's for viewing if you so wish
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can