Reptile Forums - View Single Post - New Beardy keeper!
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2012, 02:00 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienC View Post
Hi guys and gals!

I'm brand new to all of this!, so please be gentle and patient!

Basically here's my story etc.

I've just rescued to bearded dragons from a friend who was unable to look after them! (His mother got a big shock when she came home from holiday to find them in his room!) so he owned them for about 2 weeks roughly.. and no previous history as such (apart from one male and one female roughly 18months old)

So I've moved them all in and they are doing just great (or so i hope) basically they seem to be fine and happy!
The male Stitch - (or so i believe him to be male) has a stumpy tail.. bit missing and not sure as to why/how this happened was like it when i got them And he seems to be slightly smaller and weighing less then the female, he also doesn't like being held much?! and I noticed today he got a black beard (but i've read that could be to do with the colours im wearing etc..)

The female Lilo - (again.. or so i believe to be female) is bigger in length and looks to be a generally stunning beardy! Got a nice lime colour to her! (Awesome - pics to follow), she's generally laid back.. doesn't seem to do too much! but eats more than the male? and has first say on what food she wants?

Now, this is the strange part, The male seems to be very hyper.. he likes to run up and down the glass banging his nose sometimes on it, bobbing his head very often! constantly clawing at the glass as if he wants to come out? as soon as the lights go off and i send them to sleep he's find and i dont hear from them until morning! he likes to just "flop" on Lilo constantly climbing on her etc etc even on the ground?
The running up and down the glass may be him wanting out but it's quite common for males to do it if they can see their reflection or if it's breeding season (they get hyperactive and often go off their food). Him 'flopping' on Lilo is probably dominance or mating behaviour.

They are both healthy from what i know and can tell both holding their bellies up and both alert and eating and poo'ing well!

Set up

4ft long viv, 2ft wide 2ft high - from what i've read this is plenty? and as much as my space will allow for now! (until i move out in the new year) then they will have atleast a 6-7ft viv..

150W I believe Basking Lamp (may be 100W)

10% UVB UV light

And heat matt for at night but is well covered so they dont burn their bellies!

Temp is about 90F in hot end but thats from a thermometer not a thermostat.
Don't have one for cool end yet.
Where are you getting that 90F from? You have the cool end, warm end (around the basking area) and the basking area (directly under the heat lamp where the beardies bask). Basking area should be around 105-115F, the beardies should only bask for around 5 minutes then go about their business.

Substrate is a wood chip as recomended by my local reptile shop! (Lucky to have a dedicated one about 200 metres from my home) but im looking to change to a sand.. as i hate the look of the wood chip stuff! and it's mega hard to spot clean!!

i've got two feed bowls in there for them! just to make sure they both have plenty of chance to eat!

Feeding silent crickets 3 times a week, first day of them today and they went absolutely ape!! haha they knew what they were before i even put them in the viv!
Try other foods as well - locusts and roaches are good options. Do you have any supplements to dust them with? If you don't have a look at Nutrobal or even better Repashy calcium plus. Remember to feed any livefood. Try providing the beardies with some veg too > Untitled Document < here's a good guide to start with. As adults around 70%+ of their diet should be made up of veg.

and one water bowl (which they seem to like getting filthy -_- )
Keep the water bowl in the cool end. In the warm end it can raise the humidity in the tank which can cause respiratory infections.

My questions

Firstly, Is my viv big enough?

- Are they doing okay (I know its probs too early to tell just yet)
It's early days but if they are eating, pooing, moving around the viv then there's nothing to suggest that anything is wrong
- Are there anything i can do to help make them happier/healthier?
Separating them (or giving them a bigger viv) - they aren't bothered about company, rather they see it as competition for heat, food etc. Beardies tend to do best alone, especially in a male-female pairing (male's often pester the female to mate, one will always dominate the other and the female will lay eggs eventually which can be detrimental to her health).
- Is there anything i'm doing wrong?
- Which sand substrate should i get?
Play sand is a good option, general consensus is to stay away from calcium sand.
- Anything else I need to buy?
A digital thermometer - those dial ones are crubbish!
- Can someone please please please explain the Thermostat hub things? (the dimmer.. night and day etc etc)
Can you specify what thermostat you have/are getting? I've never used a day/night one though so someone can explain those settings to you (or find an online manual for you to use). Where do you have the thermostat probe? I can't see it on the pictures (or I'm probably just being blind ). People setup the thermostats different ways - I put the probe in the warm end and fiddle around with the thermostat dial until I get the correct temperatures in the basking area according to the digital thermostat. Also you shouldn't need a heat mat at night, a drop in temperature is important for their health
- How can i sex them? to make sure they are male and female.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ed-dragon.html
- Should i split them up?
As mentioned it really is best for the both of them. Although beardies can be kept together without any major mishaps I would rather negate that risk straight off (before you have vet bills to fork out for). It's also best if you're not sure of their sex.
- Anybody got a good cheap Big Vivarium for sale?
Have a look in the classifieds, there's usually some going. Preloved and gumtree are ok too.

That's about it for now!

If I can think of anything else I'll post it up! p.s any help anybody can give me would be absolutely amazing!

Oh P.S it's pay day Friday.. so thermostats will be bought then along with new UVB as now sure when that went it.. and anything else i need
Have a look at Arcadia T5 UVB lighting (12% for beardies). It's the best around and the lamps only need to be changed once a year.
Answers in red

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/