Reptile Forums - View Single Post - New to reptiles - please advise!
View Single Post
Old 28-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Hatchling
Default New to reptiles - please advise!

Hiya! I'm new here =) I don't have any reptiles yet but have always been a fan. My first tattoo was a gecko tattoo! I'm researching crested gecko care as I plan to get one next year. I've drawn up a list of stuff to get. Let me know what you think. It all comprises of research from various sources that I've put together. List is as follows:

Exo terra repti glo 5.0 13w UVB compact bulb
Exo terra reptile glo 2.0 13w bulb for additional daytime viewing light
Exo terra 45x45x60(h) viv with light canopy
Various natural decorations and plants for climbing
Coco bark substrate
Ceramic heat lamp 40w with heat guard
Habistat pulse-protiortional day-night thermostat
Water bowl
Food dish
Spray bottle for misting
Moist hide with sphagnum moss
Digital thermometers each end of viv

That sound ok? Some people have heat mats but its my preference to have a heat bulb.

Could someone please clear up a problem I have.... Perhaps I'm just not very bright (!) but I don't understand how you can achieve 2 temperatures in a viv from 1 heat source. No one seems to explain this in care sheets. They just say you need a cool end and a warm end. I understand that a heat mat or bulb can control the hot end and a thermostat regulates this....but what about the cool end? I've never been a logical person - I'm a creative type! Please can someone clear this up? Ta x