Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Corn Snake Owner!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders2012 View Post
No he cant escape and we've put some more things in there to fill it up a bit, make it seem a bit less vast to him. I've seen such a difference in him since he ate, I dont think he'd been fed in a while at the reptile shop . Am using a bulb with a thermostat. i was told in the shop that it was to be set at 90 degrees in the day and 75 at night. Seeing as the thermometer is in the middle of the viv, I imagine this is far too warm at the warmer end?
Move the thermometer - you need to know what the hot spot is. The temp at the hot spot should be somewhere between 82 and 88f for a corn. they have quite a large range for temps but if you aim for the middle it should be ok.
And there's no need to change this at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders2012 View Post
Reading about the Boas, I feel they're the best option for me. Even if they're less active I don't want to turn my gf off the idea of keeping snakes, comparing a slightly more aggressive but active snake against a more docile yet less active one if that makes sense? My gf would be there at all time when I handled them but it would generally only be me holding them at any time.
Not all active snakes are aggressive, I have already advised carpet pythons.