Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Getting prepared
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Egg
Default new problems

Hi folks....ok well i went out and bought a viv exotic 30 gal and built it up yesterday, sealed all the inside as instructed and have taken my time to get things just right.i have read and read about heat mats, ceramics, radiators and just finished my third book lol.I like the thought of being well prepared, which brings me to my problem.After reading i realised that a bp's natural habitat would be a burrow and that obviously they do not bask in the sun hence i decided on a heat pad.The base of the viv is too thick to place underneath so i have it inside with some lino over leaving airspace to avoid heat burst.the thermostat (micro climate ministat 100) is set for a temp of 33c and is fixed onto the heat mat, my digi thermometer is on top of the substrate (newspaper atm) just inside the hide and never seems to go over 29c?....so i bumped the ministat up to 35c (max) and still the digi thermometer does not reach adequate temp.To test thermometer i then placed it next to the thermostat sensor under the substrate and it goes up to accuracy?.Next i removed the lino and placed the thermostat sensor back on top of the substrate and faced the problem again.Humidity is sitting nicely at 50%.Im a little stumped here to be honest.I dont want to go out and buy another thermostat, poss pulse if i am doing something obviously wrong.
I know the debate between bulbs and mats but one article grabbed me by saying "you won't see a ball python in the wild basking under the sun" so i opted for the heat mat to attempt a more natural enclosure.Anyway i hope you guys with experience can help me out............Many thanks....Tom