Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Best lizard for a novice please?
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2012, 02:19 AM
5 Star Member

Hi there

Nice to see people doing research before getting their animal!

There's a few care sheets I recommend for leopard geckos >
Home - Moon Geckos
Leopard Gecko Care Sheet - Classy Collection Leopard geckos
SleepyDee Gecko's - Leopard Geckos, African Fat-Tailed Geckos, Geckonia chazaliae, Tarentola chazalia, Underwoodisaurus milii, Nephrurus milii, Teratolepis fasciata, Hemidactylus imbricatus, Lepidactylus lugubris, Nephrurus levis levis, care, health

You'll find that very few care sheets agree with each other on everything (keepers on here don't always agree!) The basics are pretty much the same though:
- Minimum of 2ft x 1ft tank
- Don't house geckos together
- Use a heat mat and thermostat to maintain temperatures - these temperatures should be measured using digital thermometers. All probes must be touching the floor, on top of the substrate where the heat mat is
- Hot end should be around 88-95F (it often depends on the individual as to how hot they like it)
- Cold end around 75-80F
- Substrate for younger geckos should be kitchen roll, newspaper, reptile carpet, lino, slate or tiles - when older you can consider particulate substrates but they come with risks
- Keep humidity low
- Offer a variety of insects, these should be gut loaded and dusted with certain supplements
- Many care sheets say that they don't require UVB lights but they seriously benefit from them, will help to prevent disorders such as MBD.

Most leopard geckos are handleable but remember that they're all individual, you'll get your confident ones and your skitty ones. It would be best to get them from a trusted breeder who handles them from a young age for your own peace of mind. Remember that they can be delicate so take handling slowly.

Cresties are a lot more jumpy and I find a bit more unpredictable, but again this changes depending on individual and breeder.

Other reptiles that are good with children are beardies (larger, usually very docile but require a lot of room and more complicated setup), rankins dragons (like beardies but smaller) fat tail gecko (very similar to leopard geckos but I find a lot more chilled out, will usually fall asleep in your hand). Those are the most handleable reptiles that I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there's more.

Just keep doing what you're doing, plenty of research and find a reptile that suits you

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/