Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Taken on a Leopard Gecko. Need some more opinions from experts x
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky89 View Post
Just so you know the temperatures on the thermostat are a guide only, so although you may be setting it to 24*C on that dial, the actual heat being given off could be anything. You need to get yourself a digital thermometer, can get them at your local petshop or on ebay, this will give you a much more accurate reading when you put the probe on the warm area. Don't bother with the round dial ones, they're cheap because they don't work. I assume you're using a mat stat, so the light will be on while it's heating, it will switch off (and the mat off) when it reaches the desired temperature, then back on again when the temperature goes too low.
For now put your hand on the warm area, if it feels quite warm or hot, it's probably easily reaching the temperature the gecko needs, if not a bit too much.
But i'm confused, becuase my thermostat has a probe on it (which I have positioned near the floor, near to the heat mat, sooo are you saying this could still be reading the temperature incorrectly?

I have more questions, but they depend on the answer to this question

ArcadiaJohn - Vets here don't get alot of training with regards to exotics, they knowledge is all cats, dogs and bunnies. They can choose to study further in exotics but only a few do. I have a few exotic vets I can consult, however my own vet addmitted she didn't know alot about gecko's, and asked me to seek further advice. I shall look at your article now