Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Strange behaviors in my turtles? Also, hello everybody! New guy here.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Egg
Default Strange behaviors in my turtles? Also, hello everybody! New guy here.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site, I just started today. I was recommended to go here by someone on Yahoo! Answers. I've been noticing some strange behaviors in my turtles. I own 1 Map Turtle (Don't know what kind of Map) and 1 RES. It has been over 2 weeks now since my Map Turtle has eaten anything. I know it's still winter and all, but I have a heater in the tank. Shouldn't the turtle be eating normally if the water is heated? I'm worried and afraid that he will die. He has been really lazy lately and he keeps going on land to sleep. He usually likes to swim in the water and goes crazy every time he sees me feeding him. Now he just doesn't even care, he doesn't even bother moving an inch to get the food. Could it be that he's too fat? I don't know if I've been overfeeding him or not, but can anyone recommend me how much I should feed him? He's been making some weird breathing sound. Kind of like a hiss, but more deeper.

My RES was eating just fine, but now he's eating very little. He would only eat like 2 small pellets and then leave. I do have UVB lights, a water heater, and a basking spot for him. What should the temperature of the water be? How can you tell the temperature if it doesn't say on the heater? The water is just slightly above him since he's still a weak swimmer. He loves to eat baby shrimps, but the stores stop selling them.
I bought him some shrimps, but he doesn't like them. What's the difference between shrimps and baby shrimps? I thought they taste the same?

Here's what I feed them:

- The little floating sticks
- The mini floating sticks
- Krills
- Shrimps

Can anyone recommend me something that turtles love to eat? Would freeze-dried crickets be a good idea?

Thanks,
- Patrick

PS: Can someone post me a link to the rules for the forums? I don't want to violate any of them. :/