Reptile Forums - View Single Post - dyskinetic syndrome
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2013, 08:04 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxicator View Post
@GRB, That kind of argument discards common factors that hobbyists have found to kill tarantula. Whether that death is attributed to DKS or KillerTarantulaDeathSyndrome really doesnt matter to the hobbyist, the result is the same.

Out of interest, have you:
1. experienced the symptoms that others have described as DKS ie fast, erratic behaviour?
2. have you found any reference to DKS in any written articles, from credible people?
3. have you contacted the makers of Frontline?
4. have you experienced dehydration with tarantula?
It doesn't discard anything: It sim[ly says grouping a bunch of deaths together under one title "DKS" is not helping understand any of them individually.

To answer your questions -

1. Nope, I've either been lucky or do not contact whatever substance / prey item / anything that causes these sorts of symptoms

2. Nope. I don't consider anything written about DKS so far to be credible really, unless there is a paper on it that I have missed written by someone who looked at cellular / toxicity material / dietary deficiencies.

Anything else is just heresay / anecdotal evidence. For all we know it could be a chronic lack of a vitamin in the diet just as much as the action of a pesticide.

3. Why would I do that? I was content with the cautious notion that all pesticides will probably affect arachnids. I don't see the need to approach Vapona and other pesticide manufacturers to confirm this.

I don't say this sound arrogant - the idea that frontline was a cause was, iirc, already proposed before I entered the hobby. From my background, the hypothesis that they would not cause damage to arachnids is counter intuitive, so I would have assumed that was one of the first things suggested.

4. No. I know the symptoms but my tarantulas have not suffered dehydration. I have however seen it in true spiders.

In refrence to 2 + 4: Does a Doctor need to experience an illness to diagnose it? Does the researcher need to have the illness to understand its mode of action?

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933