Reptile Forums - View Single Post - need help with my red headed
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Premier Member

HI

Agama agama are always in the main wild caught and are famously called in the trade "The 30 day lizard" as you are very lucky if you can get them to live for 30 days! but why is this?

Firstly they usually have a huge paracite load! they must be firmly but gently de-wormed. this may be the gapeing that you describe.

They live in a tight family network govenerned by the females! They have a huge social network and cover a huge area of ground a day and as such need large enclosures to do well.

They eat a HUGE variety of food! in the wild they are almost totally vegiterian until maturity and do carry on eating flowers and fallen fruits in the wild. They thrive on insect matter when grown and have a particular fancy for Grubs and beetle young.

They require a HUGE UV emmision. As in all reptile keeping we MUST always try and replicate the wild environments from which these animals have taken x millions of years to develop in. I can assure you that the UV Index of the locality is 7-9 nfor much of the year. An unreflected 5% T8 lamp fitted at 15" above the Agama will be giving you about 0.5-2 depending on brand! it simply isnt enough to sustain life.

Reptiles have developed a very close relationship with the sun and in species that thrive in ultra high emission zone of the world they simply cannot survive on the main without these factor recreated.

To re-create a wild index you will need a properly reflected 12% HO-T5 system with reflectors fitted as part of a dedicated photogradient and a hot basking area ideally by using M.V alongside a stat controlled heatsource.

They also require areas of high temps.

I strongly advise you to re-look at the kit you have. Agama agama shoudl be kept one male to 3 or 4 females ideally in a 6 foot+ viv "in an ideal world" they need a thermal gradient form the mid 90s at teh basking point and a UVI that provides them with an min of 7 at the basking point.

They do need to be wormed safely and gently and they will need dedicated re-hydration and very effective high quality supplimentation. they will need a very varied diet of wax worms, fruit beetle grubs, calci worms, butter worms and even moths and flies alongside differing size locust and some green foods.

I have persoanly experiance with this species over many years and do not say these things lightly. I must say however that year the look wonderful when in colour but due to the specilised care required this is one species that is best left where it fairs best! in Africa. The trouble is that they are brightly coloured and very cheap, an ideal box filler for importers.

I'm happy to help further if required

Good luck

John

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com