Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Food advice
Thread: Food advice
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2013, 09:24 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzhal View Post
Sorry for coming across rude

I agree shops are terrible with advice especially beardies, I think probably every reptile shop I've visited houses them together even a really respected one I visit often for my snake equip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippa View Post
People may join the website and do what you have said, but no need to be rude when all i'm doing is asking for a bit of advice. I am trying to get as much information as possible to make sure they live a long and healthy life. I am just getting confused when a website I was told to visit to get advice on how to care for them states to have them together etc but I come on here and told they can't be together. I haven't ignored anything you have said but when you come over aggressive then why would anyone respond to that?

I will be getting something new, because the photos I put up in the photo section clearly shows that this vivarium is not suitable at all. With the beech wood chips, again that particualr website at Northampton Reptile centre state that's what they would advise is used.
The problem with shops (even good ones) is, at the end of the day, they need to make a profit. If that means selling 2 beardies (with the chance that things won't work out) and having the owners come back to get a brand new setup... well then they are the winners. For that reason (and a few others) I don't really take advice from shops, experienced keepers are the way to go To be honest, I've never seen a care sheet written by a shop that I'd follow down to the letter (or maybe I'm just a fussy bugger )

People also have this idea that they need company. The only time you would see these guys together in the wild is fighting, mating and possibly sleeping (to conserve heat in the freezing night temperatures in Australia). But people want them to have company, which often leads to problems because they don't understand their nature. Also with the hope of breeding or saving space, again not for the dragons own good I'm afraid.

To live a long and healthy life, separation is actually the easiest way of doing that. Beardies can live together 'successfully' (as in not trying to attack each other and breed to death). This, however, would require a huge tank, multiple basking spots and UVB tubes and loads of food - this is difficult to achieve. They're a bit like children, always want what they can't have or what someone else does have. This results in dominance and aggression. I could send you some horrific injuries from beardies that have fought each other over resources - it's not pretty and I doubt something that you ever want to deal with!

Again, substrate is down to preference. I've told you my reasons for not using it but go have a research about substrate. In my opinion, if you can eliminate a risk, with no downsides then take it! It doesn't happen very often in this hobby. Something like slate or lino can't be swallowed but is also very hygienic and easy to clean. It's up to you.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/