Reptile Forums - View Single Post - help needed - bearded dragon
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Have you purchased the uv tube yourself or was it second hand? Eyes closed (unless sleeping of course) usually means they are upset by something. Either wary of close hands or a predator (you) nearby, or possibly an issue with lighting. Any chance we can see a pic of your setup, pictures can tell a thousand words. I wouldn't attempt bathing yet as it will just stress her and any water bowls should be located in the cool end.

You haven't mentioned your basking temp (directly under your heat bulb), unless that was the 90c? If it is then that is too cool, you want to aim for about 105-115f or 40-45c. Your cool side could also be a little warmer and in a 3ft viv I imagine it would be if your basking temp was correct, so I'd imagine your basking spot is the 90c?

Also may want to use something gripper than laminate flooring, lack of grip can cause joint issues apparently. It would make sense as it certainly isn't similar to what they would come across in the wild.

They actually have a small spot on the top of their head that enables to tell when it's light or dark. So, if you cover that spot with your finger, it can cause them to close their eyes. The beardie could also be sleepy.

A 80w bulb or 100w would probably keep them temps up better, but the uv strip is brilliant. Arcadia is what I use for all my reps that need uv. Make sure it's new though as they only last up to 8months.

I use lino and it actually has alot of grip. If it is slippery though and you see your beardie struggling to walk, then change it. Using it rather than a loose substrate is way easier and cheaper to maintain and avoids impactation.