Reptile Forums - View Single Post - feeding in or out
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayvan View Post
Care to elaborate? Personally I can think of many compelling reasons to feed out. I know my snakes like to drag their food around, so to make 100% that they don't eat any substrate they come out, feeding out rather than allowing them to take the food into their hide allows you a good opportunity to see inside their mouths and have a quick visual health check to make sure all is well, which you wouldn't normally get to do without stressing the animal, 2 birds with one stone you can weigh them while they're out, it's also nice to watch, just to make sure they're ok and that they actually eat it.

The only good reasons for feeding in that I see are that I won't have to restrain the snake to avoid feeding bites from 2 of them, and feeding time would be a lot faster... apart from that maybe I'm missing something....So i'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering if you could fill me in
So what if they accidentally eat a bit of substrate? They don't eat off a plate in the wild - and their digestive systems cope with fur and bone, so I can't imagine a bit of newspaper, aspen or whatever is going to harm them. Most of the time, this doesn't happen anyway.

All of my snakes come out regularly and get a quick look over every time. Feeding time couldn't be a worse time to do this!

So, you take your snake out to feed it..... what then do you do about leaving it alone for 24-48 hours after it has fed? Handling them after feeding risks regurgitation and feeding response bites. If you are worried about them dragging their food into their hide (can't think why, but let's roll with it...) - just remove the hide for feeding. personally, I wouldn't do this. If they are more comfortable eating in their hide, then that's where they eat. The fact that I can't see it is disappointing, but irrelevant.

Presumably, you've also got to buy several feeding set-ups as well, which are sat idle most of the time? I'd need at least 3 and probably more, given the size range of my snakes (baby trinket up to a burm). By the way, if you want an adult burm to start associating being taken out of it's viv with feed time, you are welcome to do so.....

You've tried to underplay the restraining / feeding bites argument. Surely you've noticed that if you just left them where they were, you wouldn't have this problem.

As I said, lots of reasons to leave them where they are -and none for moving them.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.