Reptile Forums - View Single Post - help needed with axolol
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Super Citizen

Mine are fed mainly on earthworms, they're a good primary diet, but I also give them bloodworm, insects, daphnia and some amphib ice-cubed snacks as a treat. I probably do a 10-20% water change weekly, I use a siphon to collect the muck from the sand and then replenish the water with fresh (obviously add tap safe). I have a leucistic axolotl and her red gills quite often change colour, I've heard when they dull it just means they're relaxed. Definitely do water tests monthly, testing for any ammonia is particularly important, you can buy testing kits and some pet shops even offer a free service. They're not particularly active so things to look out for mostly are fungal, ulcers, etc. You'll need to keep the water ideally between 17c - 20c, anything higher than 24c can be harmful to them. In the summer a good trick is to freeze some tank water in large bottles and rest them in the tank to cool the water down. All of them have indivial personalities, one of mine is very confident and will often approach us when we're in front of the tank, the other is a little more reserved, but a some food wins her around!
1 Albino Lavender Kingsnake
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Axolotls
1 African Pygmy Hedgehog
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------