Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Bearded dragon help and advice!
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2013, 04:39 PM
5 Star Member

Sounds like she's going to be getting the best! Which is very nice to hear

That UVB setup sounds great, as good as you can get!

Regarding the basking lights. Only one is needed, having 2 will likely heat up the cool end too much. You can use halogens, spot bulbs, household bulbs, it's up to you. Halogens are cheaper to run and get warmer at a lower wattage than most normal bulbs. The light bulb (which ever one you choose) should go on a dimming thermostat. Even if you get the temperatures spot on without one, it's there as a safe guard, mostly to prevent overheating. The basking spot can be upped even more than that, around 105-115F. Bare in mind that these are just a guide, the best way of determining temperatures is to watch her behaviour. She should only bask for 5-10 minutes at a time, then run off and do lizardy things. If she basks for longer than that, the temperatures aren't quite high enough. Remember to get some digital thermometers too if you haven't already. The dial ones that are commonly sold are rubbish.

You shouldn't need any night time heat at all, so no ceramic and no extra thermostat. They need cool temperatures at night for them to 'switch off' properly. If it's too warm they won't sleep and this will cause problems in the long run.

Everyone seems to have different ideas about where thermostats should go. Personally I would put the probe in the middle so that it can sense quicker if the cool end is going to be compromised. There are instructions with the thermostat that says the probe should go in the cool end, but in my mind it'll begin to compromise the cool end before the heat is lowered.

I would change that calci-sand to normal play sand. The problem with calci-sand is that it is not digestible, the calcium in it promotes them feeding on it. If they eat too much then it can cause problems as it forms very solid clumps when wet, which can get stuck and block the digestive tract. Normal play sand is not digestible but also does not form clumps and can pass through relatively easily if it is eaten.

Didn't see it mentioned so I was wondering about your supplements? Did you get given any with her? A very highly recommended brand is Repashy Calcium Plus, this can be dusted on to the live food.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/