Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Bearded dragon help and advice!
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
Firstly and well done on doing the initial research and purchasing the correct equipment, you won't regret purchasing the T5 I can assure you. I assume you know to mount it in the hot end to create a photogradient (Light & Shade)? Click the link for more info if not.

It seems you have your temps slightly confused. You want a basking spot of 105-115 roughly, depending on the dragon. You then want a hot end of 90ish and cool end of 80ish, I'd recommend a little lower which you should be able to achieve in a 4x2x2. You will only need a single bulb for this and I would recommend roughly a 50w halogen on a dimming stat.

Night temps should not need to be provided, they don't need a temp range (hot and cool end) at night and there will naturally be one for most of the night due to the heat bulb, your bd will decide where to sleep. Aslong as night temps don't drop below 10c you will be fine, anything between 12-18c is great in my opinion. Too cool (below 10c could bring on brumation and too high will disturb your dragons sleep, be uncomfortable and stressful. A night time temp drop is a natural occurrence and beneficial.

State probe placement is subjective and people differ in their opinions. I personally prefer my towards the cool end to maintain an area that the dragon always has to retreat to if need be, no chance of overheating and dehydration. See what works best for you.

Calci sand, i assume you meant she doesn't eat it? I personally wouldn't recommend calci sand. Firstly all loose substrates can be dangerous especially calci sand as your bd will possibly be attracted to the calcium and ingest it which can lead to impaction. I will stress however that if your husbandry is correct then they shouldn't be attracted to the calci sand and any ingestion (unless major and constant) should pass without issue. If however your husbandry is off then loose substrates can be very damaging.

I think I've covered everything you've asked and everything I wanted to say. Sure someone will comment if they disagree or I've missed anything. This place is a wealth of knowledge!
Thanks for you reply.

In regards to the lighting, I know it goes down towards the hot end, but will cover most of the viv as, a 4ft which is what 45inched long and the and light is 34inches. she will have shade from the light if she wish's by the use of silk plantes and such creating shaded area's.

With heating, ok one hologen should be fine then to create the basking spot for her. But at night you say they will natually be one at night, but if im correcting in saying the heat light will be turned off at night correct?

Also what would the dimming thermostat do differently to a temp thermostat? As you said use a dimming one.

In response to placement of thermostat sensor, so say if i put it 2/3 of the way down maybe half way (2ft), this should ensure that the cool end doesnt get too hot correct?

Yer iv read alot of different thing on sands and calci sand. Her hoppers get calcuim sprinkled on them prior to feeding and she also has bearded dragon pallets which also contain calcium, so she doent tend to eat it at all. Just loves digging it. It was what she was on when i get her, so atm she still on it in her old viv untill new one fitted correctly. Also the calci sand comes in some nice colours she got black and blue. Looks fab.