Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Yemen info. overload on vivs - help!
View Single Post
Old 18-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Egg
Default Yemen info. overload on vivs - help!

Hi,

Newbie here! First post and all that......

I own 2 Horsfields and have done for years along with a Leopard Gecko that's now 2.

Now that I feel proficient in husbandry of these 'easy' animals, I have decided to get myself a Yemen Chameleon. Again - I've gone for 'easy' seeing as how I am a novice!

Anyway - the girl in question is 3 months old and very tame and eating / pooing well, so I have to take good care of her - Obviously!!

I have bought a wooden viv, which has 4 x 3 inch diameter vents in the back at the top. My question....... is this enough ventilation? I rather think I should be adding 1 on each side, 1 low and 1 high, but so much conflicting info. on the net, my head got a bit boggled.....

I chose a wooden viv, as my house is rather cool which is the way I like it, plus I'm out at work during the day, so misting can only be done mornings / evenings. I wanted to keep humidity in, but of course, I don't want the air becoming stagnant. I have a drip system which drips into a coconut bowl so never drips to the ground and keeps humidity high - it's my own invention - to drip into the bowl that is! The coconut never really fills with water, just stays wet.

Anyhow - I haven't bought the new girl home yet - that's this weekend. I wanted to set up the viv and check all bulbs, thermostats, temps etc were in full working order first. The viv is 3ft x 2ft x 2ft.

Any help and advice gratefully appreciated. I did have a search on here so I think I may need more vents, but wanted to ask specifically regarding my exact set up.

Thank you

A