Reptile Forums - View Single Post - To have a heat mat or to not have a heat mat? That is the question
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydee View Post
Inland Beardies dont really live in the area you have provided minimum night time temperatures for though. Their population is more central isnt it?
Alice Springs Climate and Weather Averages, Northern Territory

Simpson Desert Climate

The Territory | Climate

^ Info for Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAndJayFuzz View Post
Bitchy comment wasn't directly aimed at you, was in general.
Over night it's only as warm as the palm of your hand, but it helps me sleep at night knowing that they have that extra bit of warmth.
As I said I live in a very old house, and during the winter months even I wake up with icicles on my nose! Let alone the dogs.
I appreciate that they do get hot, hence why I said to thermostat.
It's all very well and good people jumping off the band wagon with dont do this and don't do that, but it doesn't help with the advice already given!
It does get cold over night in Australia, but we forget these animals are captive bred and haven't actually experienced that temperature changes of Australia, only the settings in which they where bred and where sold.
There are many people out there that will try and fob you off, believe me, over the years I've met many. I appreciate this forum for people's own experiences. But over recent months, there's less of that, and genuine helpful advice, and more of slating each other and jumping down each others throats.

##RANT OVER##
They may be captive bred, but the majority are still adapted to cope with hot, arid day conditions and the freezing cold nights (until you get to freaky 'morphs' like silkbacks).

This forum does seem to be going down; people recommending absolute rubbish (not referring to this thread ) and cat fights everywhere! It's turning into a minefield!

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/