Reptile Forums banner

Need a little help please

718 views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Diane Minxy Minx 
#1 ·
Hi we recently got our firrst Geko, Larry. we got him from a reputable breeder and the guy we got him from is a friend and says all seems well. Some general care advice would be good tho because I don,t want to be constantly phoning my friend for advice. I was wondering if it is normal for Larry to stay in his moist hide all day long, and we have a thermometer at the cool end of the tank which reads between 78 - 81 degrees, do I need to get another thermometer for the warm side to check it is warm enough. also is there any way of telling when they are ready to shed and if so how. We have the heat mat on the gorund with a 60 watt bulb above it, is this the correct set up. Also we have genuine sterilised play sand as a substrate, should I consider changing this for somethin different.
Thanks in advance for any help given

#2 ·
What kind of gecko is larry?

You should have a digital thermometer in the hot end too. If you tell me what he is I can tell you what you need :2thumb:

#4 · (Edited)
Firstly...take a look at this link and read it right through as it will be very helpful to you. It will tell you exactly how your basic leo viv should be set up/where all the bits and bobs i.e thermometers/stat probes etc go.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizard-care-sheets/699119-how-setup-basic-leopard-gecko.html

It is a basic set up and you can add decorations/plants/things to climb all over - when you have everything in order.
You will need a digi thermometer in contact with the heat mat at the hot end to take the correct temps. Around 32-34c is preferable. You need a thermostat to control and maintain these temps so the leo keeps at the right temp and doesnt get cold or overheat (and get ill either way)
Digital thermometers give accurate readings but the round stick on analogue dials....dont. Is it a heat mat youre using? only asking as leos need belly heat and not overhead heating from a bulb or light.

What substrate are you using? How often do you feed etc?

My leos all spend time in their moist hides but are also in and out of their other hides throughout the day....maybe larrys too hot/cold as your temps will be off most likely as you say you only have a thermometer in the cool end? : victory:

#5 ·
Here is a pic of 2 of my vivs to give you an idea how you can kit it out when you have all the heating/digital thermometers and stat probes in place....i have mine ontop of the lino hidden out of site in the far left back of the vivs behind the fern plants. My geckos all have 3 hides each (hot hide/cold hide/moist hide) but they also use the plants to hide in aswell and all the things in the vivs provide interest for them to explore and investigate so they dont get bored like they would in a plain and boring viv : victory:

#6 ·
Thank you so much for all this info, you are really helpful. I have checked out the basic set up guide, I feed him every day as he always eats what I give him. At the minute he is on sand substrate but after reading lots of comments saying this is not good for him I am planning on getting some lino instead. Also I will invest in a couple of digi temp gauges.

Thanks again for the really good advice, I will get a picci of Larry uploaded soon, he is a real cutie.

#7 ·
You are very welcome. Always glad to help someone out if i can :) loose substrate isnt the best to use due to ingestion and possible impaction,,,,most of us use lino or similar.

Cant wait to see larry...and :welcome: to the forum : victory:

Reactions: Diane Minxy Minx
#9 ·
#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.