Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Help..gecko not eating
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
Hi Jesterone,
We have an exo terra glass tank, heat mat which is set to 90F, a hot hide, a moist hide and a cool hide, plenty of climbing areas too. We also have a night heat lamp, which provides the smallest amount of light I've ever seen. We are using reptile carpet rather than sand etc.
We were told she is around 6 months old, we have calcium dust in her tank and we are dusting her food. She ate two waxworms earlier today, this is this first time she has had them and we are aware they are a treat so she won't be getting them often.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Well to be fair everything there sounds just as it should be. What are you dusting the food with? What are you using to measure the temperature and where is the probe placed?

It's only been a week since you've had her so she still has a lot of time to settle in properly. Eating the first couple of days isn't necessarily a sign of being comfortable. And as long as she's healthy then it's not going to harm her missing a few meals until she gets her appetite back. Just keep monitoring her and see how she gets on. It's easy to worry, especially if she's your first.

My only suggestion would be that Leo's are known to get a bit skittish in glass tanks. You might want to trial putting something opaque around the back and sides and seeing if it makes her feel more secure. Doesn't have to cover the full panel, just about half way up.

I can't really suggest anything more than that other than just waiting and don't panic, they are very hardy creatures. And there's nothing wrong with your set up.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.