Reptile Forums banner

Collared Lizard

2K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  DannyDee 
#1 ·

I'm a first time owner of this gorgeous little lady, eastern collared lizard, she's 9month old and settling in brilliantly. I love her!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah the abbreviations can be a bit confusing when you first start
CB= Captive Bred
WC= Wild Caught
LTC= Long Term Captive

Hope this helps :)

BTW I've got a pair of CB Collareds myself, they're one of my favourite Lizard species, it's nice to see someone else keeping them : victory:

#6 ·
Aaaah thank you, she's cb and so loving already, I was changing her water this morning and she jumped up onto my arm straight up to my shoulder and just sat there til I was finished haha. I done loads of research before choosing her, I've wanted a reptile for a long time but wanted to choose one that was I was suited to and vice versa plus I have children so had to think about them but she's been great it's only her 2nd day here and she's like a family member already xx

#13 ·
My crosses both have excellent temprament and have never bitten me. The Eastern is a bit more skitty - He doesnt mind being stroked and will sit on my hands for a minute or so but that's all. He was running up and down my arm / shoulders earlier, which is a favourite past time - I needed to put him away and reached up and over my shoulder - Should have known better really. Blood was drawn and it stings like mad, but hey ho. My own fault. At least it wasn't my panther...... he is a grumpy beast and will bite anyone given half a chance and he has a BIG bite.

#14 ·
What reptiles do you have then?
Lzzy acts a bit like a dog haha she spies and watches her crickets then wags her tail, it's amusing to watch.

I've got the reptile bug now anyway I think.... I'm looking at going a lep gek next they're so darn cute

Lizard loving, tattooed, shoe fanatic

#15 ·
Yeah it is addictive.

I have the three Collared lizards, a red bar ambilobe panther chameleon, two electric blue dwarf day geckos, a giant day gecko and a Fiji Iguana. It's more like a Zoo than a house.....

Collared lizards are epic and I am suprised not more people keep them. Really fun to watch and most of the ones I have come across (apart from Mr. Bitey today) usually are quite placid.

Can I ask where you got yours from and how old it is? Is she definately female?

#16 ·
She's from Nu-Pets in Carlisle (England, I'm not sure where you guys are from) she was sold to me by the reptile expert they have there, I've checked myself into how to sex them and she's definitely female (although it's bloody difficult if you don't research them lol)
She's 9month old and currently trying to jump on the thermometer at the back of her viv haha.

My Auntie used to have a HUGE iguana but he was a right grump, wasn't nasty or anything just constantly grumpy, he was a beaut though. I've never seen a panther chameleon but I've heard most chameleons can be quite nasty, is that true?

#17 ·
Just the other side of the hills in Bishop Auckland here.

They are quite hard to sex when they are young.

Brachs (The Fiji) is about 2ft nose to tail - About half of that is his tail :) Hes soft as anything and loves coming out to sit on my shoulder.

I posted a picture of my cham the other day - It's in this part of the forum. Some can be absoloutley fine, but generally chams are quite lonesome grumpy old men. A lot depends on how much they have been handled when young I think. Mine doesn't seem to have been. At the end of the day if they don't want to be handled and aren't happy about it then I see little point in stressing them and trying to make them do it - Not good for their health.

#18 ·
Yea my friend had a beardie that wasn't used to being handled so when ever you went near him he did that thing with his front legs.

I've just looked up the panther chams ... holy shit they're gorgeous!!!

I actually live in Scotland but just passed the border so didn't have far to travel with her.

Can I ask what fruit/veg you feed your collareds? She had some strawberry yesterday and seemed to love it but I've read so much online about what they should and shouldnt have!

My aunts iguana (Ziggy) was the first reptile I ever touched and seen, my love of them kinda started from there I just never had the room or time for one but decided now I'm at home with the kids and have the space ..... why not!! Then found NuPets had collareds in and instantly fell in love with her. She was the only one with the orange marks already too.

#28 ·
In that case it just been defensive,The problem is all collareds have there own personality and my young are little monsters when they hatch as all are,They will attack me lol and they actually take upto a week or slightly more before they settle down and they bite each other a lot when first going into a viv as they think everything wants to eat them but once they realize they are safe they then settle down and you find some are more friendly than others but all are fine being handled and some actively seek to be handled.

I handle my young daily before they are sold onto shops/new owners,the problem is when they go to shops they don't get the handling that they are offered here (I am not saying they don't get attention but they wont get as much)and I have no control over them kids banging on vivs shouting or whatever so they could become nervous after my care.some people are also very heavy handed or in one case I no of someone used gloves which turned a ok wild caught collared into a nervous wreck around hands(I no I own him now)whereas the other extreme is a wild caught female I owned that was friendly from day one (she is sadly missed as my first loss due to age)Yours maybe just needs time to settle down again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.