Reptile Forums - View Single Post - My Five Lined Dumpy Family!
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Super Regular

The first video is being finished up here are the details...

Attaining 50 subscribers I wanted to do something special and show you all the two enclosures that are involved in this thread. I couldn't think of a better time then now with the new animals in one tank and the other being 95% finished.

There are more animals and Inverts then I thought and some didn't come out when I was filming but I got some all but 4 in the video. There are a lot of Millipedes in the one setup so I also couldn't get all of them but when I build the new kingdom for the Skink Dynasty all the inhabitants will be seen going in.

Here is a list of the inhabitants but there may be more Millipedes then I know of.

The Dumpy Family:
Max (Female)
Spurgeon (Male)
Jeremiah (Male)
Fin (Betta Fish)

The Skink Dynasty:
Pharaoh (Male Skink)
Amsi (Female Skink)
Ruby (Offspring Skink)
Male Un named Tree Frog (I think it's a Green Tree Frog)
4-8 Giant Millipedes
2 Large Virginia Land Snails

That's around 20 overall which is a lot to focus on. Since the Skink Dynasty is teeming with life the plants won't be talked about much but the plant life will be more discussed in the Dumpy Family.

Both setups will be side by side. The Skink Dynasty is not yet built. I have everything in my 75 Gallon but the ecosystem is moving to my 55 Gallon when completed.

Both kingdoms are going to have a sprayer or two inside the enclosure. I'm undecided yet which mister I will use. Both setups will be heated with Under Tank Heaters and Basking Bulbs and such to keep them hot, humid, and authentic to their natural habitat.

A small compare and contrast to the setups
There are very big differences in the setups how the animals run their ecosystems. The Dumpy Family is 3 tree frogs that are equal and all can eat the same stuff and there is no real hierarchy. These frogs are communal and like the company of one another. The frogs enjoy interacting with each other. Fin the fish is solitary and he's good with that but all 4 animals are friendly and hands on. I can feed them and work with them.

The Skink Dynasty is very different. This ecosystem is controlled by a peaceful male Skink. He is not afraid of anything that comes to his territory. Anything that does come into contact with his territory he goes to investigate it. He accepted the toads I had him with but he also can choose not to accept something. He is joined by his mate Amsi and their offspring Ruby. He is very large as some have told me he's as big as a Broadhead Skink. I have never held Pharaoh and I've only seen the Skinks eat maybe 4 times but I see lizard poop a lot. He knows the Millipedes aren't going to harm him or his family so he allows them. He doesn't interact with them much but he did investigate them. He also is smart enough to realize they are toxic so no Skink has tried a Millipede. The two females follow his lead. He doesn't care about the snails but idk if he would eat them so it's a wait and see thing. He allows the little frog also. The little frog sleeps where the lizards do so they don't have a problem.

The Dumpy Family relies on their lush forest to give them security and humidity and allow them to blend in to hunt.

The Skink Dynasty relies on the plants yes but they need the Inverts like the Millipedes to dig and turn the soil to fertilize the plants and the snails to eat decaying plant matter. The Millipedes eat poop too. The Skinks can even rely on the frog because the frog can hunt the crickets at night when the crickets could attempt to attack the lizards. This tank is truly an ecosystem because all the pieces work together.

These are going to be more featured in the winter as my main setup I will hibernate the animals.

What is something you would want to see between the two families?

Have you ever seen Millipedes breed?

Have you ever considered using land Snails in a setup?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk