Reptile shed project
I know these have been done, and I know I don’t have a lot of pics of the progress but in the interest of starting new threads and more discussion on here I thought I’d share my experience, (along with the cost) and the progression of my reptile room and the enclosures.
I’ll do this over a few posts too as I’m currently at work waiting for my machine to be fixed lol.
Step 1. Decide size and style. I decided on a lean-to style roof, because it’s easier than making rafters. Just make one wall higher than the rest and you just have to work out how to cut birds mouth joints for the roof beams! The mrs told me once I’d built this I can’t add to it, or build more sheds so I settled on 7m x 3m. It was going to be bigger but I’m studying as well as working so I don’t have time to expand just now, and was thinking of reducing the collection so I can build large natural enclosures.
Step 2. Order materials. Using google sketch up I worked out how much timber I’d need. The walls were treated 4x2, the roof treated 5x2, and the floor treated 6x2. Insulation I went with 120mm earth wool in the floor, then put 18mm osb3 over the top. The walls and ceiling I used 100mm rock wool. I could have spent more on Delores style but honestly where I live int’ nerth it rarely gets hotter that low 20s, so a fan to keep air moving and an extractor fan in the wall keeps temps comfortable. I line the inside with 12mm plasterboard. Very easy to cut, looks garbage but the walls will eventually be covered in tanks anyway so who cares! Cheap underlay and clearance laminate for flooring can’t go wrong with that! Foundations are 4x4 treated posts set in concrete. Half of the foundation was an old garage floor so saved a bit there!
Wrapped in house wrap before cladding. This is important as no water has gotten through yet and there are plenty of gaps now the cladding has shrunk slightly!
Cost for building materials- 2300. Insulation, 600.
Roof is epdm single piece, 120.
Wiring I did myself, probably about 120 worth of stuff. Lights, consumer unit, more plug sockets than I actually need. Got a sparky to check it and sign is off when he was doing other work in the house so saved there too!
Doors, £90 each off eBay.
50 on screws. Pics to follow......