Reptile Forums - View Single Post - fruit fly cultures media
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Super Regular
Smile

If you make it like mash potato that’s a bit on the wet side, a bit sloppy, because if you use a well ventilated lid, it will soon lose some moisture, then it will be just right.

It’s ages since I made fruit fly cultures, I used a dry mix off eBay, the same you found, I think it’s great but I added stuff to make it cheaper and better. I added smash and a ripe banana, and a bit of the repashy brand. Can’t remember quantities and I used a fair bit of water to rehydrate the potato. I’d mix everything dry, then mash a banana into it, then add the water. It would make two cultures, add excelsior and top it with a piece of kitchen towel secured with rubber band.

I nearly gave up trying to culture fruit flies because some went mouldy, which I think was not enough flies added to the culture, ie not enough maggots churning up the substrate, then the next time I tried, it was it was too wet, I think I made it up as instructed, not the eBay brand but an expensive well known brand, but the lid was plastic with a small hole about an inch diameter stuffed with a sponge meant it didn’t get much air and then it looked like it got infested with mites so that was another failure.

Hope you succeed

1.1.1. leopard gecko, Lemony Snicket (she likes her crickets
1.0.0. green blotched snow corn - Haribo(gummy worm)
1.2.0. ferrets, Scrappy, Coco Channel (smelly)
0.0.1. cockatiel, Charlie

Last edited by deedee71; 23-06-2019 at 08:38 PM..