Reptile Forums banner

Advice appreciated please

265 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  John1975 
#1 ·
Hello all I’m in the middle of deciding weather to buy some hatchling pythons specifically Morelia. I’d like a pair or two females in the hope of growing them then in a year or two sourcing couple of unrelated males. The snakes in question are unsexed this is slightly concerning to me as I thought that with the exception of gtp’s,pythons could be readily popped.may just be this guys prerogative? Or am I possibly buying excess unsold males? I’d love one of these snakes either way more of a long term pet thing,may be only snakes I ever own.i just don’t want to be a prat and spend money in something that is probably not what I’m hoping for. What’s the general opinion? Should I insist they are sexed? That’s my instinct,unless some can tell me a reason why they wouldn’t be sexed. Any help appreciated been years since my limited experiences only ever popped my young brbs to practice
Cheers

#2 ·
How old are these hatchlings?
Has the seller told you why they haven't been sexed?
If you are after a specific gender but these snakes haven't been sexed then i personally would politely ask him to sex them, if not possible or if he does not wish to then no i wouldn't buy them as it would just be a waste of time if it turns out to be the sex you did not want BUT if you're not overly bothered about the sex of the snake then yeah buy one - why not?

#3 ·
Not said really but not been overly quick responding to requests of photos etc. Did say that he had 5 left that had been finicky feeders (feeding now so not really concerned) so I suppose that’s honest enough I don’t want to imply otherwise but can’t see why you wouldn’t sex relatively expensive uncommon animals. Not like they are standard corns or balls. Even then you’d expect sexing. I know gtp’s are too delicate just wondered if the rest of Morelia group was considered similar. I’ll push him on it. Thanks

#4 ·
Hmmm, which species of Morelia are these hatchlings? i'm curious too, keep us updated :2thumb:

#5 ·
Guessing Diamonds here?

They're robust hatchlings - all the ones I've seen offered for sale have been sexed. Only reason I can think is the seller doesn't have the experience or confidence to do it? Aren't they last years hatchlings too?

Personally I wouldn't pop Diamonds - only probe, especially if they're yearlings now. IMO popping is ok for newly hatched colubrids, the muscle tone isn't really there to struggle against but once they start gaining some age or are arboreal, probing is safer.

Hopefully you've asked about lineage information, care, parents age etc... :2thumb:

I know you want Diamonds - I did for years, I waited for hatchlings from Diamonds that I thought were stunning, high yellow beauties for me.

#6 ·
Diamonds yes. Was trying to be subtle to avoid possibly offending the guy I’m dealing with. He seems ok saying I’ll get certificate info on parents etc. I’ve seen what I believe are the parents too they’re not high yellow gosford looking things (beautiful but I’d worry they had a big scoop of jungle) just look yellowish whiteish puts me diamonds. Do you think they are last years?this wouldn’t necessarily put me off just didn’t know. Also this would mean I’d probably be thinking about brumating in a limited way this winter.tbh I’d just love a diamond to keep handle admire but it’s stupid to buy stuff if I’m questioning it. Just don’t want to get excited then make a pleb style purchase 🤞😬🤔💸💸💍🐍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.