Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Complete newbie confused by conflicting advice
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Regular

Setup looks great! If you're anything like me you'll be adding bits and pieces all the time and it can be a money sink... So a few tips on saving money that I've learnt in all my less than 1 years experience, and not sacrificing quality. (sorry if these have been mentioned, I'm not going through 15 pages!)

Buy bulk and buy non branded reptile stuff. Substrate such as coco fibre, sphagnum moss, plain ol dirt, orchid bark can all be bought at garden centres or online in bulk for much cheaper. Same goes for equipment like thermometers/hygrometers and plug timers.

It is a good idea to go with respected reptile brands on things like electronics though. Eg, heating, lighting, UVB, thermostats.

Go outside for branches. Google safe trees for reptiles (most seem to be fine, but better to be safe) and learn to recognise them, it's easier than you'd think. Choose fallen branches that are not rotting and seem pretty clean and sturdy or cut some yourself (if you have permission). I always get branches bigger than I need and cut them down at home. I wasted so much money on branches that turned out to be absolutely useless as they would be too short or too bottom heavy to really secure in place.

Some DIY know-how always comes in handy. There are a lot of tutorials on how to make your own hides, backgrounds, vines, ledges, or even your own vivarium. You could also recycle some old furniture like a cabinet into an enclosure. Also comes in handy just figuring out the best way to attach light fittings/tidy cables.

One last thing I'll mention (not a money saving thing) is that some facebook groups do have some great info (and a lot are awful with people throwing opinions around as fact). The most informative with actual research being Advancing Herpetological Husbandry and Reptile Lighting. There are a lot of groups and probably worth a join if you just want to trawl through their files and search other questions asked before. And kinda entertaining to see someone post something "controversial" and watch as the war unfolds...