Reptile Forums banner

corn snake won`t feed

2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  hellyskelly 
#1 ·
we have a 13 month old ,female , snow corn that has not fed properly since 21/08/05 when it took its usual 2 small fluffs, then on the 04/09/05 it took 1 fluff with some trouble then on the 21/09/05 she shed in lots of little pieces and she has not fed since although she has taken water every time she has been offered when in hand when put back in vivif anybody could give advice i would be greatfull if no improvement then its a trip to the vet
Helen :(

#3 ·
the temps in viv are cool end 75 warm end 83/84
the only thing that has changed is I had the snakes sexed by probe at shop they come from and found had 2 girls .1 boy so put boy in own viv
the snow is still in viv with amel and they are lay together as they always do no change around viv

#5 ·
will warm up viv and try again to feed her, can you give me any advice on bad shed have researched but would value advice from someone who may have been there if you know what I mean

#6 ·
You could try raising the humidity but you prob tried that or I have read people putting their snake in with some warm wet towels in a box or something and letting the snake have a good wriggle around and the weight of the towels will help the shed.

#7 ·
I've found bad sheds are usually cos the tank's too dry. I spray the tank like mad a few days before they shed and they're usually fine. The odd time one doesn't shed right and I find that a warm bath softens the skin and a rub with a towel takes it off. If your corn had a bad shed, make sure the eye caps came off ok (the skin that covers the eyes) otherwise problems can occur. Is there still shed skin on the corn?

#8 ·
she may be gravid, watch out for weight gain.
put a bowl of water in the warmer end so it gets a little warmer for the snake to shed in.
i usually put mine into a pillow case over night left in its tank.
soak the pillow case and then ring it as dry as you can, put the snake in it and remove in morning, all of skin should have come off

#9 ·
thanks for all the help after a 20 min warm bath where snow lost a few
small pieces of shed snow ate 3 pinkies

thanks again for advice :lol: :lol:

#10 ·
did i read that wrong? the females have not been near the male?

#12 ·
cornmorphs said:
did i read that wrong? the females have not been near the male?
the females were split from the male on the 11/08/05 when sexed as trying to prevent pregnancy early as snow female is very small for age as she has always been fussy feeder

#13 ·
i have known females lay at less than a year, so watch for swelling in the lower 3rd of the body.
did she shed after she stopped eating? if so you could get eggs anyday if she is gravid.

#15 ·
actually layed at 6 months? i dont think thats possible mate, that means it woul dhave to have been mating at 4 months, no way

#17 ·
snow had lost almost a third of her body wait while she was not eating ,she has no swellings that are visible exept where she ate last evening she seemed to take 3 weeks to shed from the time her eyes clouded to losing her shed in small pieces, as the warm bath seemed to work we will be giving her a warm bath for a few weeks now have also brought a bsp vit drops to add to water

#18 ·
chocolatecolubrid said:
Pretty sure that was it's age. Was definitely a good bit under a year. She didn't have it long before it layed, and it was a hatchling when she got it I know that for sure! Will double check with my mate anyhow incase I'm wrong.
i know of an 8 month old that got gravid, but nothing that layed that young

#21 ·
It's an ongoing debate - since they mainly hunt at dawn/dusk in the wild I personally don't see that they would need as much UV as dragons. However there are people who wouldn't be without it. I don't know of any reports of snakes (corns anyway) that have suffered problems associated with lack of vitamin d3. Maybe some other guys on here have?

#22 ·
up date on snake

snow our little corn has now eaten twice 5 days apart we are only giving her pinkies so we are offering her 3 at a time and as she has lost so much weight we have been advised to feed her 5 days apart until she regains some of her weight we have also introduced a bsp into her water she is doing better now she is back in the viv with our other female a lot more settled

#26 ·
i dont, never have and never will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.