Reptile Forums - View Single Post - fake rock builds
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujician View Post
While we're at it, i'd like tsome of the finer details of building stuff like this!
I've just ordered 25 sheets of polystyrene!!! My leos are going to get one made for them.
Questions:1- Does it mater what kind of grout I use? (which would be best?)Any non toxic grout is fine, either plain white or coloured (white is cheapest).
2- How many layers of grout do i need to put on and why? At least 4, this strengthens the polystyrene and prevents it from warping under heat.
3- What kind of paint is best, and does it need to be mixed in the last layer of grout? Any non toxic paint is good, waterbased works well. No need to mix it into the grout.
4- What do I seal the whole thing with eventually? (Or would there be any need for this if the paint was mixed in the grout?) yes to make it waterproof, in a low humidity viv you can use pva, in a high humidity viv you need to use yacht varnish or epoxy resin. again you will need at least a few layers of sealent.
5- Do I need to grout all the way around the polystyrene? I.E the bottom, or is it enough to leave the bottom and sides bare? (as this will be touching the side of the viv) (I think I also could have asked - how much does grouting affect the measurements?!!! - How thick will all the layers be?!) Yes and seal them as well. Depends on how thick you make your layers. Mine added about 6-7mm but i put on 5 layers and am still adding sand and sealent, so it'll end up a bit thicker.
6-As part of the rock thingy I want to make, I want to incorporate a moist hide complete with a lid for some moss - is this okay to do, or will the constant moisture affect the structure in any way? I think this would be fine as long as you seal it with yacht varnish or expoy resin.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm sure you will also find the answers to these questions useful. Thanks in advance, Ben
I'm by no means an expert, am building my first one now, but have answered your questions with info i found out during my own research.

Hope those answers are helpful.

Andi