Reptile Forums - View Single Post - A little Help please!
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_with_a_mind View Post
beardies really do make lovely pets, I bought mine a few weeks ago and I'm totally in love with him lol :-D As for the age to get them, I had some trouble deciding on this myself, but I'd recommend getting a baby. When buying an adult you can't be certain how well they have been cared for in the past, and I imagine it may take longer/be more difficult to bond with them. I also think that seeing them grow and develop their character is nice to watch. Enjoy

p.s Beardies can have supervised, shallow baths (with baby-warm water up to their arm pits I believe) to help them poop, make it easier for them to shed, and to clean them up. You can either use a soft toothbrush or a cotton bud to help get muck off (they can also be used to gently remove any remaining shed that may cause them probs/to loose toes or tip of tail but don't pull or force the dead skin off as it may cause damage - more of a last resort really).

Hope this helps
Beardies come from a dry arid environment, they have adapted to shed their skin in this environment over millions of years.

If you had a lizard from a hi humidity environment, (like a water dragon), and it was in shed, would you take it out of it's viv and put it in the oven to dry him out? Didn't think so, so why on earth do people like yourself insist on dishing out advice like the post above for an arid living animal

THEY DO NOT NEED A BATH TO SHED THEIR SKIN, in the wild a beardie would never see enough water in it's life time to bath in, think about it.

As I said to the poster above, think befor you post

Jay