Reptile Forums - View Single Post - New bearded!
Thread: New bearded!
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba1967 View Post

What you use is your choice, as far as I know there is no scientific paper to suggest, tile, paper and lino are any better than, sand, wood, carpet. Etc.

Or is there...?

As for me I use sand. The benefits are good stability, kinder on feet and joints up to the shoulders and lets them dig. The only problem is, it needs changing about every 6 months to keep it fresh, some will say impaction is a problem but I can't see it, if we're talking about fit healthy dragons, kept properly without constipated guts already, then I canít see it being a problem, to be honest I don't think they are that clumsy, after all they've been living in arid conditions for 25,000,000 years, I think they might have adapted to their surroundings by now.

Jay
I just want to say that I have personal experience of a young beardie and impaction.. Which is why I dont recommend sand for a baby/juvie. My sub adults and adults are kept on sand. I would not recommend Calci sand for even adults but play sand is very good.

Of course it is entirely up to you what substrate you put in with your beardie. I just feel for a baby it is not worth the tiny risk that it may happen.

I think most people on here know that I am not a pushy person and that everything I say is how it works for me and what I have learnt over the last 3 years of keeping a breeding.

In my baby vivs they all have plent of rocks and wood to climb over this helps keep their claws at a good length.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.