Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Crested gecko beginner
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Question Crested gecko beginner

Okay. As promised, here are my questions about keeping a crested gecko. Most of it is stuff that leads on from the various bits and pieces I've read - just little details I'm still not sure about. The idea is that, at the end, I will know a) what's best for a crestie, and b) whether or not I can provide it.

Starting from the biggest question/problem...

Diet:

1) I share a house with someone who doesn't like bugs. And mean properly does not like bugs. This pretty much precludes any possibility of feeding a gecko crickets. So, what I'd like to know is everyone's opinion on feeding a gecko primarily/exclusively on CGD. I know this can slow a gecko's growth, but how does it affect quality of life? Does it delay the maturation of the gecko as well?

2) This one follows from above. If a gecko is fed on CGD instead of crickets, what proportion of the diet can/should be fruit? And to what extent should the fruit be supplemented, if at all?

3) From what I've found so far, the vast majority of juvenile crested geckos on the market are raised largely on crickets. That being the case, how would I go about getting them on to CGD? This is a potentially big problem I think, since I would not be able to put it back on crickets if it rejected the new diet completely.

4) Again, following on from above, what if a crested gecko that was feeding on CGD suddenly turns its nose up at it? I might be getting a bit neurotic now, but I'm sure I've read of that happening.

5) Hopping back a couple, I know that geckos that don't eat crickets grow more slowly due to the relative lack of protein in the their diet. Are there any alternative, safe sources of protein available?

6) This is one I'd be interested in hearing (or reading) your opinions on. I've seen cans of pre-snuffed-it crickets for sale. Now, I'm guessing that these guys won't have the same nutritional value of the live ones, since they are cooked and there's no way to know if they were gut loaded prior to going to the big tub in the sky. Has anyone tried feeding them to a gecko before? If so, did it accept them? And has anyone tried that weird, vibrating feeding dish?

Housing:

1) I've read that juveniles get stressed if they are placed in a viv that's too large. What size of viv would be considered too big? At what age/size would a gecko be propmoted to a full sized viv?

2) Where is the best place to stick a heat mat (ahem)? I've heard talk that geckos that sit on vertical glass for prolonged periods are prone to floppy tail syndrome (FTS). Is this true? If so, would putting it on the back of exposed glass be a good idea if it tempts the gecko to sit there for too long? Could it go behind the fake rock background of an Exo Terra habitat, or would that attenuate too much heat? Would it just be better to use a bulb?

3) Should there a be a damp hide in the viv pemanently, or just when a gecko is shedding?

Other:

1) Going back to the cricket issue again, in lieu of crickets to chase around for fun, what else can be done to stimulate a geckos mind? I'd hate for it to be bored

That's everything for now, I think. Thanks for having the patience to read this far! All advice, ideas and opinions are welcome. I defer to your infinite wisdom