Reptile Forums - View Single Post - aspen mites
Thread: aspen mites
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Super Regular

You really shouldn't be getting mites from commercially manufactured Aspen at all - but I agree with the other poster, keep the Aspen in a freezer if possible until you need to use it. I don't agree however on the use of common pet shop mite treatments, they simply don't work and re-infestation always occurs cos the eggs aren't killed with such products. Check out ARDAP spray 750ml (huge!) can. Spray onto anything and the mites die quickly and keep dying due to the residual chemical (which is not harmful to your snake!) it's an excellent product and I have no mite problems at all since using this product. Frontline is great too, but not user friendly. It needs to be bought from a vet at about 20 for a small bottle, diluted carefully then very carefully used on the snake and all viv decorations, hides etc. It works a treat but very potent stuff and a re-application required about a week later to kill off any hatching/hatched eggs. ARDAP is brilliant - google it - then buy it - there's a fella on eBay sells it too.