Reptile Forums banner

Help With Cornsnake Not Feeding

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rantasam 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am new to keeping snakes, i have brought a 4 year old male corn snake, A very well behaved snake, but i am having some troubles with his feeding. I have had him for over a month now, and in that time he has only eaten 2 fuzzys, as i tryed him on medium/large mice and he wouldnt eat them. He doesnt strike feed at all, But over the last 2-3 weeks he hasnt eaten anything, (he isnt coming up for a shed). But whatever i seem to put in his viv he doesnt eat?.. The ones that he did eat, one i covered with the smell of mouse substrate, and the other i covered with the smell of rat substrate, and on both occassions he ate them during the night, after being left on the heat mat. I have also tryed heating them slightly, and slowly shaking infront of him, but he didnt take it, and today i have just tryed to feed him a fuzzy, warm and with the head peirced, so i am hopeing he will will eat it, if he doesnt eat it, (i will let people know) but does anyone else have any ideas that will help me to feed my fussy snake?.
thanks

#2 ·
are you still in touch with the previous owner?? could be a good idea just to give them a bell and ask what he was fed and how he took it,just so you could try and mimic the way he was fed previously. also i know this sounds mad but what colour mice are you feeding?? i had a corn that would not even touch a black or grey mouse but would nail a white mouse lol.

#5 ·
Is he actually losing weight?

This time of year, many male corn snakes do go off their food - they're more interested in breeding than in eating.

I wouldn't try feeding more than once a week, and if he refuses, leave it overnight. If he won't eat, weigh him again.

#6 ·
dont worry yourself to much about it. Leave it a week and then put a mouse in a container with the snake in it! leave them together over night and in check in the moring. As has been said this time of year alot of snakes can go off feeding and think more about breeding lol dont panic!

#7 ·
Sadly

Sadly My Cornsnake Died, About 5 weeks ago. I Took him to the vet for a post mortum, and it turns out that it had an endoparasitic infection ( inside its body).. could have had it for a long time and not shown any signs. thats why it wasnt able to eat much. thanks for all your suggestions

#8 ·
fuzzy seems a bit small for a 4year old corn, try wigglig it in front of hide, corns sometimes like privacy, is it defrosted right, what colour is it used to eating, is the viv temp ok. if everything ok, jus might not be in mood, corns are known for that, no real reason, they jus do. dont try daily but weekly.

#9 ·
I'm really sorry to hear that OP; it's an awful way to be introduced to keeping snakes. I hope this experience doesn't put you off though.

#12 ·
Hey Guys, Just A Quick Annoncement, I Have Just Brought Myself A Hatchling. Ive Been Told Its A Carolina Cornsnake :).. She (im guessing,as too small to tell) Has Eaten 2 Pinkys 2day And Im So Happy :) She Is An Active, Lively And Healthy Young Snake :), Fingers Crossed For This One. :). I Have Taken Everyones Advice And Hopefully It May Help Me In The Future :D. THANKS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.