Reptile Forums - View Single Post - Cheap Digital Thermometers any good?..
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Cheap Digital Thermometers any good?..

I've got a small viv (10 gallon) which i'm getting ready for the arrival of my new leo next month, I have my heat mat hooked up to a digital stat with the probe touching the tile which is directly on top of heat mat. I was advised to get a digital thermometer for the cooler end of the tank and i saw these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Water-Terrarium-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ350231178055QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item518b67ab47&_trksid =p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15|66%3A2|39%3A1|293% 3A2|294%3A50

I know they say aquarium, but are they designed any differntly to vivarium ones? i know they have a rubber fitting over probe to allow it to be immersed in water but if that's the only difference surely it'd work fine out of water?
Anyway, was looking on the net and came accross reptile ones which look exactly the same (just don't have a symbol of a fish on it and it's like a tenner more!) so does anyone know if there's a difference and/or whether these cheaper thermometers will do the trick? Cheers in advance -Ads