Reptile Forums - View Single Post - New member, have'nt got a clue !
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang27 View Post
To start off he wants the vivarium in his room so we cannot get anything too big to start with so I was thinking of a 24" setup.
a beardie will grow out of a 2ft viv in a matter of months, you'll also struggle to get the right heats. They need a 115f basking spot with a cool end of around 80f and 2ft really isn't enough space to get the right heat.

Quote:
I have read not to use a normal light or a heat pad for Bearded Dragons and her who must be obeyed insists that the tank is not an eyesore.
heat mats aren't for beardies and a normal light is the best thing to use, although a normal spot lamp will direct the heat down. Reptile heat bulbs are just normal spot lamps with pretty picture on the box.

Quote:
We have seen some nice looking 'out the box' setups that are visually attractive but are thye simply that, they look good but are about as much use as a sponge leg in a flood !
yep, pretty much spot on.

Quote:
So, what we want is a nice looking habitat in as new condition with the correct lights, thermostats, heat lamps etc preferably in the North East or Northumberland area.
You should be able to find what you're looking for in the classifieds, but aim for a 4ft viv straight from the start. If you don't have room for a 4ft then consider a rankins dragon (like a mini beardie) and a 3ft viv.

Quote:
I have also read that a tiled floor is easier to keep clean rather than sand, bark etc, what advice do you all have regarding this subject.
Sand isn't advised for young ones and like you say... tiles are easier to clean and can look really nice.

Quote:
Also he would like to find a very brightly coloured Dragon rather than the normal dark coloured type, will this be the Red variety that he wants and will they be available in this area. I have noticed buying privately they can be bought from around 15 upwards while in the shops they are around 50 upwards !
if you shop around you can get them cheap like you say although the price rises depending on the morph.

Quote:
What age is he better off going for, very young (7/8 weeks), a few months or what ?
All down to personal choice, they're cuter as babies but more handleable when they get older.