Reptile Forums banner

Compacts or Tubes

739 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Jim2109 
#1 ·
Hi there all you helpful people, I have been looking these compact UV lights and they seem to be a good idea, I was just wondering if anyone has some good or bad reports about them. They seem a cost effective way of getting UV to your rep. but are they as good as tubes, if not then the cost against a sick loved one is no brainer.

I mean cost effective in if you are just setting up a viv, i.e. not buying tube starters.

I would love to read your views please either for or against.

Thanks

John...:grouphug:

#2 ·
It depends what you are keeping.
Compacts create a tighter area of UV concentration. So for a turtle, that will come up and bask in one spot they are ideal.
However for a beardie who will roam about the viv and bask in the hot and cool area - a tube is better.

#3 ·
Thank you for the V.Quick reply that was basically the answer I was looking for as I am doing my research on beardies at the moment, just want to get everything right.

Thank You

#4 ·
Just a curiosity post.

We have three Vivs, 2 with tubes and one with compact so no firm preference or opinion.

Surely when in their natural emvironment beardies will be moving about in and out of shaded areas (thermoregulating) and not be permanently in the sun, so how can tubes or compacts be better than one another?

Not trying to start an arguement and this is purely a curiosity and learning so all info gratefully received.

Alistair

#5 ·
I don't think they would be in direct UV all day. And when I had my beardie I always had his viv set up with somewhere shaded for him but as tubes/compacts are no comparison to natural UV I would prefer a beardie have access to UV on either end of the viv rather than in just one basking spot. Personal preference I suppose.

#6 ·
I have always used tubes too. For the same reason too, plus i've found that the Bulbs have just gone up in price so the tubes are cheaper. Once you buy the starter you won't need to get another one, If you get a good make ie. Arcadia, as these have sealed ends so no moisture can get into the unit.

(just my opinion)

#7 ·
i dont know the whole story, weather its true or not but iv read (on this forum) by multiple rep owners that the compact bulbs are bad for reptiles. they cause eye problems that could lead to blindness. like i said it may not be true but im no expert and i wouldnt risk it on my reptiles. it may be worth searching for the posts on rfuk?

#8 ·
Compacts "can" be bad - there is no scientific proof of what happens with a beardie being in contact with them. IF you go for a compact you would want to get an MVB bulb (mercury vapour) However, strip lights are far better in my opinion and from personal experience with Helio. It appears the compacts (i went through 3 in just over a year) seem to have a shorter life span than tubes.

#9 · (Edited)
Blindness -I've seen something on that but that seems to be related to bulbs being too close to the reptile itself, I've seen a couple of mentions where the Compact bulb was approx 5-6 inches away from dragons. So maybe in a standard height size viv they are not practical purely for correct set up purposes.

From reading the instructions of our 100watt PowerSun bulb again (read originally when settin up) these are designed to be set further away than normal tubes - even externally - so incorrect use could be attributed to these stories of blindness etc. We have a high Viv 22 inches (internal height) and the closest point to any rep basking location is at least 15inches away from bottom of bulb. We have a higher Viv 33inches inside height so that would work perfectly.

As with everything correct setting up and reading manufacturers intructions is essential.

Alistair

#11 ·
I use tubes with my beardies... Primarily because that's how the viv was when I inherited it... :hmm:

I've never seen any reason to change from that, not least as the viv is 4 ft and the UVB tube covers almost the entire length.. something a compact couldn't do..

#12 ·
compact bulbs work ok in small enclosures, like small Exo Terra's, etc. they give off a very narrow UV output compared to a much wider output from a tube, but this in itself isnt the big issue.

the problem with compacts is that there is lots of evidence to suggest that for a similar amount of UVB output compared to a tube, they give off a MUCH higher UV Index, which essentially means they are giving off more UVC. UVC is the most harmful form of UV, it is the cause of skin damage, sunburn, eye damage, etc. it is also of no real benefit to reptiles (or humans) to receive UVC exposure. in an ideal reptile bulb there would be zero UVC output, but substantially higher UVB output so that the UVB is similar to the sun in the wild, but with a lower UV Index than the sun.

compacts have their place, in small enclosures where a tube is hard to accomodate. but i think if you can get a tube in the viv, use a tube. none of the compacts or tubes give off sufficient UVB beyond a few inches from the tube for the majority of lizards from the tropics that like to bask in open sunlight at any time of the day. and if compacts are giving off more UVC then letting lizards get too close will increase the chances of problems. with a UV tube you can generally let lizards get to within a few inches with no issues.

im not using the term "compact" to include any MVB or Metal Halide bulbs though, such as Megarays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.