Reptile Forums banner

Help for newbie please

878 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SkyGreen 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I've recently split with my partner and now have a 6 month old Beardie to look after. I'm abit worried about him. He's become too big for his viv and wouldnt move around much, not even to get food, id have to hand feed him, so now e's in a nice 4ft viv with a good amount of space to move around but he still isnt. He just sits under his UV lamp, still wont get his own food. His beard isnt any darker than usual so i dont think he's just in the rebellious stage my ex told me about.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
It could be because he is just settling in to his surroundings
Or it could be that he has got used to you hand feeding him

Im not too sure though so would wait for someone who is more knowledgeable(sp) to comment

#4 ·
Some can settle within days others it takes a bit longer it all depends on the individual (sp) animal. How long are you leaving the bugs in his viv?

#6 ·
I leave the bugs in through out the day and if theres any left before i turn his lights out, i take them out and put them in there tubs to be fed and watered themselves.

Could you just confrim how hot it should be on his hot side, its currently 140F at the minute and 80 - 85F ish on his cooler side......too hot?

#8 ·
I leave the bugs in through out the day and if theres any left before i turn his lights out, i take them out and put them in there tubs to be fed and watered themselves.

Could you just confrim how hot it should be on his hot side, its currently 140F at the minute and 80 - 85F ish on his cooler side......too hot?
That's way too hot love...

Peoples opinions on this vary but I'm sure 140f is way too hot on the hot side. I would say 110 at most?? Mine is way below this though.

#7 ·
Our little girl took a while to settle in when we changed her surroundings so I wouldn't worry too much...
How often was he taken out of the Viv before? Is he used to you? Pogo is used to us but if anyone else comes in the room or near her, she stays very still and is not comfortable because she doesn't know them.
If he's really hungry, he will catch his food...or at least try to, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet. I'm sure he'll be fine.

#9 ·
He's used to being taken out i think, i've not been the main carer for afew months but he knows me as i was the one who took him out. Not too sure how often when i left but now i take him out afew times a day, maybe twice. Usely just when he asks but for the past few days i'll just get him out, just once with it been a new enviroment.

#11 ·
What wattage bulb are you using at the moment??

Im using a 75 watt at the moment due to the warmer weather and i use a 100w in the winter.

Best thing to do is try a few different watts til you get the temp to around 110, i make sure it cant go over 115 as it could end up frying the poor sods :2thumb:

One of mine is a lazy ass too......he wont go hunting often unless its a wax worm which he will run a mile for lol

#17 ·
Gave him a bath earlier, he stunk....he loved it....went for a little swim. :mrgreen:

So cute
We gave Pogo her bath too! She's needing to shed the rest of her skin which is taking ages so we gave her a soak. I'm not sure she loves being in water but she's definately not as stressed about it as she used to be! She's getting used to it. When we first put her in she was not impressed...Blowing herself up and breathing really fast :( So we took her out. Now we put her in the bath and only put in enough water so she is dry at one end...then she walks into the water herself, means it's totally on her terms. She's happier that way :D

#15 ·
as you can see i keep beardies, tank temps should be cold end 80 degrees ,hot end 115 max ,it can take a few days to settle in , you can try offering veggies which is what i do with my beardies , veggies in the morning and crickets at night i hope this helps feel free to pm me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.