Reptile Forums - View Single Post - New Reptile/Amphibian
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to bilzo Send a message via Skype™ to bilzo

Hi Jamesy

Welcome to the forums. You're in the right place, there is lots of good information here, so TAKE YOUR TIME! Do lots and lots of reading, ask questions and learn about these animals before taking the plunge. Many reptiles can live for 20 years or more so you really want to take the time now to do your research and be sure you can give the care and commitment required for the long haul!

Now we have that out of the way... if snake and anything which eats crickets are out of the question that narrows it down - a lot!

Most lizards suitable for newbie keepers will need to be fed on insects, and that will likely include crickets as a staple since they are cheap and readily available. Mealworms are not particularly nutritious, waxworms tend to be fattening, and locusts are considerably more expensive than crickets (and if you ca't keep crickets for whatever reason I suspect you can't keep locusts either!). The best diet is always a varied one, and if you're unable to provide that then maybe looking elsewhere is a good option...

Tortoises might be a viable option for you - since they don't require that you feed them insects. Many of the smaller species are easily managed and are fairly readily available. I'm not an expert on them though (although my sister has 3 magnificent Greek tortoises) so better to ask over in the tortoise forum!

You might have heard that iguanas are veggies so please let me steer you away from that thought now - they need a HUGE amount of care, and space, and are totally unsuitable for a beginner.

Your best bet really is to trawl through the pages on these forums, read lots of posts, click on links, ask lots of questions and find out all you can and narrow your search down over time. You need to find something that meets your requirements and that you really want to keep, then learn all you can about their care requirements and then you can make a decision about keeping them!

Hope that helps... I'm sure others will post some specific examples of of what might be suitable, just do your homework before making any long term commitments - and then enjoy this wonderful hobby!

All the best

Billy