Reptile Forums - View Single Post - What is it?
Thread: What is it?
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
Maybe too young to tell, but I think it might be a male also - those white bits along its back remind me of the alternating black and white you see on the low dorsal crest in breeding male alpines. I think some females have an orangey dorsal stripe?
Absolutely right, it's a male. And females and juveniles do exhibit the orange stripe you mentioned, although not always. I keep this species and also the subspecies apaunus from high altitudes in northern Italy. These alpestris alpestris were almost certainly introduced with pond weed from France and have established a breeding colony over the years, but deliberate release can obviously not be ruled out.
Available soon CB 2015 - Salamandra.s.terrestris, Triturus marmoratus, Triturus.a.apuanus and nominate alpestris, plus plenty of Axolotls (leucistic, wild type, golden albino, albino and melanoid). Plenty more species of amphibian available summer 2015 - tropical, sub tropical, and also many temperate species suitable for secure outdoor vivaria.