Reptile Forums banner

Red Blood Pythons- informed advice please!

530 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  AB's 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm possibly swapping my two adult normal royals for a pair of unsexed baby bloods. This is a polite request asking for peoples experiance and knowledge about the said snake.

For me this is my ultimate snake! Big and chunky but suitable for single handed ownership. Love the fact there is an element of "feisty" and love there beautifull unique markings.

Thanks in advance!

Ps, no pics of these beauties as Internet use is via my phone!

#2 ·
the idea of owning these as a species to me is theyre feisty as youngsters and need working to not be feisty as adults an epic fail is a feisty adult.

pretty simple, just give them the right husbandry and handle them without them feeling intimidated as soon as they feel intimidation theyll strike. they can feel intimidated just going near them.
let it settle in for a bit.
usually good to dodge a strike and pick it up nearer the base, try not to keep it too restraint they hate it. just let it move as it wants. if you take a bite take a bite while its young or wear gloves to start with, keep relaxed so it doesnt feel intimated.
its something that actually needs hands on though. they have different characteristics.

#3 ·
I've had my blood python for about 3 months now and I couldnt be happier with him. Mine was not a baby though he is 18 months old and had feeding issues so a bit shorter than he could have been with a very visible spine.

I decided to take him on anyway and i really think the feisty agressive nature is just a tag which has stuck as mine has not shown the slightest bit of aggression even though he wasnt handled that much.

After a bit of tlc he is now banging down medium rats without fail and has put on some good girth.

I keep mine on forest floor bedding with a bigish dog bowl for water as he loves a good soak especially when due a shed. just remember they need a slight bit more humidity than what your royals probably have now and the other good thing is that they only poo 2-3 times a year lol

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, these two are 09 babies and havnt shown any aggression when I handle them in the shop. There currently being assist fed as previously wouldn't eat a thing. Hopefully they will be strike feeding soon.

Can anyone recomend some good sources if information to ensure good husbandry?

Thanks in advance!

#8 ·
They really are fantastic snakes our 3 arrived about 2 months ago now and have settled fantastically.
From my experience the best advice regarding bloods(no disrespect to anyone as im sure there are others)has come from Akua Ko Nalu,Andy.G and Pauline.
Andy is my brother and im sure if you pm he would be happy to help in any way he can and id definately check out Akua Ko Nalu's website,well worth a look!:2thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.